Menu

This should be my final question post for the night ;)

I have Killgallon, MCT Paragraph Town, Practice Town, & Grammar Town & Everyday Editing. Would Image Grammar be a legitimate additional tool for my toolbox or would it be covering the same ground as the books I already have? Unfortunately, I'll have to buy it blind since my library doesn't have it.

Secondly, how do you use Image Grammar with your children? Does it work well with just a child or two or is it fairly classroom oriented? Does it have assignments or is it more of a philosophy of LA & then you need to figure out how to implement the philosophy?

Thanks for any help.

Caveat - I don't have IG, but it's on my to-buy list, and I've researched it heavily. Anyway, reviews and the fact there is now an IG workbook available both suggest that it is more a philosophy/approach type book than a book with readymade lessons. I've gotten a pretty good of what it is like through Amazon's look inside feature (keep hitting surprise me and you can see quite a bit). To me, of all the resources you listed, MCT would be the closest in approach, in that it also really stresses the point of grammar being communication (I know that killgallon does as well - also on my to buy list ;) - but somehow it just doesn't have the same feel as MCT and IG to me). I do think that IG offers enough of a different take to be worthwhile, partly b/c imagery is something I *never* really grokked in high school, just muddled along making up stuff in essays - and just the samples of IG have really helped me start getting imagery, as well as making sure the point of grammar study doesn't get lost (another big selling point for me).

This should be my final question post for the night ;)

I have Killgallon, MCT Paragraph Town, Practice Town, & Grammar Town & Everyday Editing. Would Image Grammar be a legitimate additional tool for my toolbox or would it be covering the same ground as the books I already have? Unfortunately, I'll have to buy it blind since my library doesn't have it.

Secondly, how do you use Image Grammar with your children? Does it work well with just a child or two or is it fairly classroom oriented? Does it have assignments or is it more of a philosophy of LA & then you need to figure out how to implement the philosophy?

Image Grammar is similar in approach to Killgallon and Everyday Editing — in fact, Anderson says that his other book, Mechanically Inclined, "was inspired by the work of Harry Noden and his book, Image Grammar." However, I think Everyday Editing is closer to Killgallon than to Image Grammar, and IM goes much farther than either of them. Killgallon & EE focus almost exclusively on sentence structure (EE has one lesson on separating paragraphs), whereas IG is more about writing as a whole. He talks about things like rhythm and repetition in passages, plot structure in stories, the components of a nonfiction article, the process of revision, etc., and he covers additional, more sophisticated structures & effects than EE.

Image Grammar does include lessons (mostly focused on creative writing) on the CD-rom that comes with the book, but I haven't really compared them to the assignments in EE. I haven't implemented IM yet; my tentative plan is to use Killgallon a few days/wk and then incorporate the ideas in Image Grammar into teaching literature, poetry, and writing in a more informal way. (I've recently dropped MCT, because I wanted to do more of my own thing.)

Jackie

• Like 1

I've gotten a pretty good of what it is like through Amazon's look inside feature (keep hitting surprise me and you can see quite a bit).

Ah, I didn't realize that surprise me would bring up different pages. Good to know!

Killgallon & EE focus almost exclusively on sentence structure (EE has one lesson on separating paragraphs), whereas IG is more about writing as a whole. He talks about things like rhythm and repetition in passages, plot structure in stories, the components of a nonfiction article, the process of revision, etc., and he covers additional, more sophisticated structures & effects than EE.

Image Grammar does include lessons (mostly focused on creative writing) on the CD-rom that comes with the book, but I haven't really compared them to the assignments in EE. I haven't implemented IM yet; my tentative plan is to use Killgallon a few days/wk and then incorporate the ideas in Image Grammar into teaching literature, poetry, and writing in a more informal way. (I've recently dropped MCT, because I wanted to do more of my own thing.)

Jackie

It sounds like I could wait to buy this then. Maybe after we're done with the Killgallon books & MCT. Thank you for the explanations of what's available in this book!

So, Jackie, would you say that if you have Kilgallon Sentence composing for Elementary and Story Grammar for Elementary, and will likely get Image Grammar, that you wouldn't need Everyday Editing?

You also have MCT, right? I don't think EE would add anything you wouldn't have with the other 3 resources. Everyday Editing takes 10 specific topics and provides a specific lesson plan for each of them; they seem similar to Killgallon but more narrative. Image Grammar describes how Noden teaches the same concepts, but it's not quite as explicit as a lesson plan; but then again he goes way beyond what EE teaches. It's hard for me to really make any recommendations, since I haven't actually used any of these yet! I'm just giving my impressions based on having read them. To me, IG is more of a Liping Ma kind of thing— something I read to give me ideas about how to teach grammar. I plan to basically do my own thing, using Killgallon for quick worksheets, and then integrating grammar and writing into our reading and "daily life" a bit more.

If you're using MCT as your main program, and Killgallon in between MCT levels or something, and Image Grammar just to give you ideas of how to integrate these concepts across subjects, then I'm not sure how you could even fit more grammar & writing in there!

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

• 6 months later...