Menu

What does your homeschool group do for Valentines Day?

I have never taken Valentine's day seriously and the groups I have been involved with never did either.

Really? I LOVE Valentines Day. It is 2 days after my birthday so I have always claimed it as my own personal little holiday. :tongue_smilie: I do tend to ignore others however, such as St. Patrick's Day, so I guess I get what you are saying.

In the past we have done valentine exchanges, with each kid exchanging with the other kids in their "grade." This usually included some kind of craft/snack for each grade group as well. It also got crazy as we are a big group, and it seemed no one was satisfied with it.

So we went to a simple Valentine Brunch for a few years. Everyone brought a breakfast-y food to share, and we had a laid-back time.

This year we are doing nothing, at least officially as a group. I've encouraged some of the moms who coordinate events for the different grade levels to plan something on their own, and a few of them are. So there will likely be several smaller group gatherings, but nothing with everyone all together.

We used to go all out for Valentine's Day, but as the kids in the group have gotten older, (we go all the way to high school), it's just too hard to please everyone.

Our group has a party with an exchange between children of same grade. Each child brings a decorated box for their Valentine's to be put in and they have a contest. Everyone brings a snack, so lots of sugar. Then they usually have different games. We are a large group, so it is overcrowded and not one of my favorite events.

We've had group parties where everyone brings some sort of snack or dish, we'll do valentine's day related crafts, exchange valentines, and play some games.

Last year we played "pin the heart on cupid's arrow" (with stuff I printed from online), find the construction paper hearts (which we'd hidden, the kids had to see who could find the most), guess how many (pink and red) jellybeans are in the container, whoever gets closest gets to take it home, and so on.

We go to Chuck E Cheese while all the public school kids are in school. Last year, I was able to get some kind of deal for $6 that included pizza, drink and tokens. Several of us moms printed out the reward charts to hand out to kids to get more tokens. Each kid had at least one reward chart they could relate to. We had a wonderful day there and had a great time. Oh and we are cheap! We celebrate AFTER Valentine's day. Then we can all pick up goodies half off. We have a regular set park/party day on Thursdays. It was not going to line up with the exact Valentine's Day and we saw no reason to do it before. Worked out great!

ETA - Chuck E Cheese will allow you to bring in dessert treats as well.

I think it might be an American tradition to have school kids do valentines for each other. :) In the past our group has done a party with kids exchanging valentines, decorating heart shaped cookies and such. Last year I did a party for just my own kids - we made valentine mailboxes and then the boys had fun making valentines for each other and putting them in the mailboxes. I think we had a heart shaped cake too.

I have a group of 7 families that have gotten together over the years. The oldest is now 15 but still involved. They each make elaborate Vday boxes (like one made light post from Lion Witch Wardrobe. It almost looked functional! It was very cool!) Another made a Sphinx from spray painted pieces of shingles. The dad had helped them make it. It is all over the top and we love it! My son is a bit old for the Valentines but he will distribute candy into everyone's boxes from him, but won't have some "valentine" attached to it. He is still very into the box making.

Then we play some games, do some craft - the older kids help the younger, and we have snacks. I am just now in the process of ordering the craft kits from Oriental Trading.