Menu

Which Bible for 3rd / 4th Grade?

Medieval Mom

Which Bible should we use for 3rd & 4th Grade?  

1. 1. Which Bible should we use for 3rd & 4th Grade?

• KJV Bible with Penny Gardner's lists of Bible Stories
    • DK Children's Illustrated Bible (Hastings)
    • Child's Story Bible (Vos)
    • Golden Children's Bible
    • First one bible in 3rd, then another in 4th
    • Other

**Multiple options allowed.**

I have a stack of Bibles on the table and CAN'T DECIDE which to use for 3rd and/or 4th grade (before, supposedly, we'll begin R&S Bible in 5th using the KJV Bible).

We're using AO3, in general, if that helps :) I also *own* all of the choices shown, though I inherited a few, and bought others for a dollar or two. I guess the hardest part is knowing that I won't use some of these... Sigh. Both ds and I want to do them all!

1) Penny Gardner's list of Bible stories, using KJV Bible. (AO recommendation.) I LOVE the simplicity of this, as well as using the KJV. I would schedule 2 stories per week. The only downside is NOT using options #2-4. :D

2) DK Children's Illustrated Bible (Hastings). I know ds would like the illustrations and sidebars, but I'm not thrilled with the writing.

3) Child's Story Bible (Vos). This is my mom's old copy, so there is some nostalgia attached to this book. That said, I haven't read it myself, nor did my mother read it to us.

4) Golden Children's Bible. Ds loves the illustrations, which seem more "active" than the DK version. I like that the text is closer to the KJV. I could schedule this 2/wk. to finish in 2 years, or faster to cover in 1 year.

Also, is it reasonable to choose two, covering one per year (for 3rd and 4th grade)? Or is that over-ambitious? Is it better to choose 1 Bible, and take 2 years to cover it?

FWIW, we're reading Tomie DePaola's Bible Stories this year (NIV). Ds reads it independently.

Edited by Medieval Mom

Get a chronological Bible in the NIV. (It's the only translation I'm aware of.) Everyone should have a chronological understanding of the Bible because it make FAR more sense and it makes God's sovereignty and providence more evident. It also make the cause/effect more evident which is an important aspect of a Trivium education.

By the end of this year (3rd), we will have read through the entire Golden Bible. We are using it with the MP Intro. to Classical Study guide. The Noah Plan recommends using the NrIV Bible with 3rd and 4th, I think. At least that is the Bible recommended for the program we are using next year: Walking with Jesus.

Did you read the entire book in 3rd grade? Thanks! :)

My two oldest are reading through the Golden Children's Bible this year; I like the beauty of the text (slightly simplified KJV) and the beauty of the illustrations. We do a couple sections daily--the plan is to complete it all by the end of the year, and then do Memoria's Christian Studies I next year.

It sounds like you have a little one who truly enjoys illustrations. They are young -- pick a Bible story book that they'll enjoy! You can still sometimes read from your KJV, but pick a book with pictures for your dc! :)

It would be doable to read The DK Illustrated Bible in one year. It is probably the lightest on your list. Maybe you could read that this year and then go with the Golden Bible Next year. That said, I don't think you could go wrong with any of your choices!

It sounds like you have a little one who truly enjoys illustrations. They are young -- pick a Bible story book that they'll enjoy! You can still sometimes read from your KJV, but pick a book with pictures for your dc! :)

It would be doable to read The DK Illustrated Bible in one year. It is probably the lightest on your list. Maybe you could read that this year and then go with the Golden Bible Next year. That said, I don't think you could go wrong with any of your choices!

This is the order my dh suggested to me last night. He can't understand why I'm "making this decision so difficult". :lol: I can't be the only hser mom who spends a couple days mulling over her choices, can I? :confused: :D

I do think ds would enjoy the Bibles best that have interesting pictures. :)

Thanks again!

MM