Menu

My sisters mentioned in the local newspaper

http://www.winonadailynews.com/news/local/77ca3b32-1f9f-11e0-9350-001cc4c03286.html

It's in the 2nd text box under the picture.

My sister overheard the news reporters and doctor's speculating about when/if any mirror image twins had ever been born at the hospital and she said, "Yup, 40 years ago!" She's a labor and delivery nurse there, but she didn't help with that particular delivery.

Not mirror image--monomono (when twins share a placenta and sac--hence a high risk of dying from cords tangling). That's really dangerous for the babies and, fortunately, very rare as well. It's a true miracle in my mind that monomono twins were born healthy 43 years ago.

Neat that your sister made the paper!

Not mirror image--monomono (when twins share a placenta and sac--hence a high risk of dying from cords tangling). That's really dangerous for the babies and, fortunately, very rare as well. It's a true miracle in my mind that monomono twins were born healthy 43 years ago.

:iagree: It is a miracle that they were born healthy!

Mirror image identical twins are monomono, shared placenta, sac, and egg.

My one sis was 3lbs and her twin was 8 lbs because the bigger twin was choking her with her cord. I wonder if these twins are mirror or mirror image. My mom didn't know she was having twins until two weeks before delivery.

Mirror image identical twins are monomono, shared placenta, sac, and egg.

My one sis was 3lbs and her twin was 8 lbs because the bigger twin was choking her with her cord. I wonder if these twins are mirror or mirror image. My mom didn't know she was having twins until two weeks before delivery.

I'm really confused honestly! About 25% of identical twins are mirror image. http://multiples.about.com/od/glossary/g/mirrorimagetwin.htm This just means they mirror each other--birthmarks identical but on opposite sides, identical but opposite cowlicks in hair, etc. In contrast only about 1% of identicals are monomono--sharing placenta, sac, and egg. http://www.twin-pregnancy-and-beyond.com/mono-mono-twins.html This is a step right before conjoined twins in terms of when the egg divided. It sounds like the twins from 43 years ago were both mirror and monomono. I've no idea if that is typical/they are usually also mirror--I never thought to ask or wonder about that until now! I do know of people who had momo twins over the years on the twin boards I've shared. Scary situation and many still don't make it.

Anyway, these are different things though both occur exclusively in identical twins. Still, it's wonderful those girls made it (and even more that babies made it so long ago when I don't think they monitored and handled like they do today).

Three and eight pounds is a huge difference! Wow. I thought mine were a big discrepency but it's nothing compared to that. (they were 6.9 and 4.5 and even that looked so different--I can't imagine 5 pounds!).

Edited by sbgrace