Menu

Leadership for Homeschooled student

KatieO

I could really use some ideas for an essay on leadership that my homeschooled son needs to write. Due to string of family illnesses, I found that I was unable to continue homeschooling him myself after grade 10 and enrolled him in an accredited online school for gr.11 and 12. This turned out to be a lifesaver for me as my mother's illness demanded nearly all my time and subsequently I was laid up with female problems resulting from all the stress I had been under. He's done very well academically and has basically looked after his own education for the past two years. I should add that my husband has had a chronic (and deteriorating) illness for all of my son's life so I've had to be both mom and dad to my son for the past 17 years; my son has been a great help to all of us. Problem is he never got involved in any activities where you could say he assumed the role of leader. I know that I should involved in something but at the time I was just trying to keep my own head above water and was happy that he was getting his credits toward his diploma. that Any ideas as to how he can present himself in this essay (we're not in the U.S) and overcome the fact that he was held back from participating in a lot of outside activities due to family responsibilities and setbacks. He's a good, decent kid with a great head on his shoulders. I'm overwhelmed with looking after my mother and husband that I can't think too straight at the moment. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Not every student assumes the role of leader. If we have no leaders, there are no followers, and each leader needs helpers. Also, being a leader of yourself (demonstrating independence) is a valuable strength.

I am hearing that your son has been an incredible helper in your home (possibly leader for some things?), and has been very independent in his learning.

I'm thinking there is great potential for an essay about leadership with regard to a role-model father who couldn't necessarily be a front-line leader at all times, and a mother who stepped in and asked for help (on-line school), and how that may have fostered great independence in a son.

There could certainly be a point made about how asking for help, or accepting help, is not failure, or failure in leadership.

I could really use some ideas for an essay on leadership that my homeschooled son needs to write.

Does the essay need to be about his own experiences as a leader?

(I can hardly imagine - because non everybody can be a leader- there would be no followers)

So your son could write about his experience with another person as a leader. Often the "followers" have the best insight into the qualities of a good (and, for that matter, the shortcomings of a bad) leader- so his experience could actually both ways. It could be positive, or it could be an experience with a person lacking in leadership qualities.

He could also write a paper that does not involve his own experiences, but lessons from history about what makes a good leader, or a situation where something bad happened due to lack of good leadership.

I don't know if this will help in your situation but I have a friend whose son needed to write a leadership essay for a scholarship, maybe ROTC. He visited ROTC on a college campus and the commander asked about something. The senior ended up telling him about a time he went overseas on a mission trip and the issues with getting back home - weather delays, missed flights, re-booking flights himself (in Chicago while parents were in NC), etc. The commander told him to write the essay on that experience rather than how he had been a leader in clubs and what not. The flying experience showed more than just leadership, it showed self reliance and problem solving.

Is there something like that your son could write about? In regards to taking over his schooling? In regards to helping your husband or your mother?

Has he had to step up as the leader of the family at times due to your husband's illness? If so, he could write about his family situation and what he has learned from that. Sometimes we have to be leaders in our own families first.

:iagree:

I'd suggest something like this as well, or he could write about taking leadership of his education for the past 2 years due to family illnesses.

I also don't think it would hurt to mention if his environment (being overseas) also limited his chances for leadership opportunities.

Brenda

If he goes with the story approach, I have suggestion. I read this on collegeconfidential.com. Start the story in a dramatic place, then go to the beginning of the story and tell it. "I woke up tied up in the basement" Only tell more slowly with tantalizing yet not tell everything details like the rats were nibbling at my toes. Then back up to how you got into scouting and the guys thought it was funny to tie your legs together while you were asleep on the retreat.

I would not write about being a good follower, etc. They want leaders, pure and simple.

I think it's very impressive that he was truly in charge of his own education. To me that would be worth writing about, if he can figure out a few details to make it interesting -tell a story not the facts. etc.

Problem is he never got involved in any activities where you could say he assumed the role of leader. I know that I should involved in something but at the time I was just trying to keep my own head above water and was happy that he was getting his credits toward his diploma. that Any ideas as to how he can present himself in this essay (we're not in the U.S) and overcome the fact that he was held back from participating in a lot of outside activities due to family responsibilities and setbacks.

Given the overwhelming problems that your family has been facing, I don't think your son needs to apologize for not pursuing extracurricular leadership opportunities. Rather, he should in a transparent way show the numerous family struggles that were going on that caused him (allowed him?) to step up and take control of his own education for the past 2 years. His is a very different story from most of those that cross a committee's desk, and your son should communicate how he has developed the characteristics of a leader in his unique family situation. He might discuss how he undertook many of the family/home responsbilities. Or how he helped care for his ailing father or grandmother.

He did the "hard thing" as a teenager and likely put aside typical high school pursuits to serve and honor his family. Great leaders do the hard thing, not always the fun thing. They are self-initiating and hard working, and perservere in the face of obstacles. Your son might refer to either historical or IRL people that have modeled this kind of leadership and inspired him.

HTH,

Lisa