Menu

Runkle Geography - Do you flesh this out with anything else?

Okay, so I don't know if Trail Guide to Geography is going to work for me so I was looking at the Runkle Geography. I was looking at doing US geography but I really like the TOC from the Runkle World Geography. She didn't particularly want to do US history anyway and I could probably just do a US geography along side US history later on. I read through the TOC for Runkle's and I think she would really like the science aspect of it. I was really looking for something that had a bit of a culture\people aspect to it though. Does anyone use Runkle and flesh it out with other books or resources that would help me achieve what I'm looking for?

Also, do you find the Student Activity Book useful or can we do without?

Thanks!

Yes! I have a list of supplemental book recommendations that I found online. I can't find it again now - it may very well have even been someone here on the Well Trained Mind boards. By the way, I also found a VERY useful schedule for this program online -on someone's homeschooling blog website. I really wish I kept better track of where I find these things. I altered the schedule to add in the supplements. DD is about 15 weeks into it and it's going very well.

The extra resources include

Material Word: a Global Family Portrait by Peter Menzel,

Hungry Planet: what the world eats by Peter Menzel,

Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of his Time by Dava Sobel,

The Riddle of the Compass: The Invention that Changed the World by Amir Aczel,

The Map Makers by John Nobel Wilford,

videos of Planet Earth,

projects from National Geographic website.

Pegasus

Yes! I have a list of supplemental book recommendations that I found online. I can't find it again now - it may very well have even been someone here on the Well Trained Mind boards. By the way, I also found a VERY useful schedule for this program online -on someone's homeschooling blog website. I really wish I kept better track of where I find these things. I altered the schedule to add in the supplements. DD is about 15 weeks into it and it's going very well.

The extra resources include

Material Word: a Global Family Portrait by Peter Menzel,

Hungry Planet: what the world eats by Peter Menzel,

Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of his Time by Dava Sobel,

The Riddle of the Compass: The Invention that Changed the World by Amir Aczel,

The Map Makers by John Nobel Wilford,

videos of Planet Earth,

projects from National Geographic website.

Pegasus

This is great! Now, about that schedule...

:001_smile:

Lucinda

This is great! Now, about that schedule...

:001_smile:

Lucinda

I kept looking and finally found it. It is on the "Core Foundation" homeschool blog by our own Christine (from these boards).

Here's the link: http://corefoundations.wordpress.com/scheds-english-and-history/

She also has other schedules on there, like for Lightning Lit.

Pegasus

I kept looking and finally found it. It is on the "Core Foundation" homeschool blog by our own Christine (from these boards).

Here's the link: http://corefoundations.wordpress.com/scheds-english-and-history/

Pegasus

Edited to add: Oh, and to answer the other question originally asked, we do not use the student workbook. I believe it is a method to map/learn the location of countries and we had just finished doing this on our own (simply filling in a blank map from memory every day and then researching the missing ones until it could all be done from memory). I DO have DD do the mapping on the schedule as a refresher.

Pegasus

Can I just say I LOVE YOU!!!! thanks for this, I can use her Runkle, R&S english, and her Aologoa Science. Wow this just saved me hours!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wonderful!! I'm going to take a close look at this as I finalize plans for 7th grade geography.

As a side note: Don't you just LOVE this forum? I can honestly say that the Hive continues to be the best resource I've had during all of our years of hs'ing.

Love y'all bunches!

Lucinda

We used the Standard Deviants geography dvd as well as the text Our World by Learnsmart.ca (I don't know if it is still available or not). I also had students do reports on a planet, a country, a state, a physical formation (volcano, ocean, etc.). These reports were sometimes written, sometimes oral presentations, and sometimes poster presentations. I did not like the Runkles map work. We found it uninspiring so we chose a different mapping program.

I have to say, though, that Runkles is one of my top 5 favorite curricula.

Also, do you find the Student Activity Book useful or can we do without?

I really like the student text as that is the only part of the Runkle program that really teaches names and locations of the various countries. You can use it alongside the Runkle text, but it doesn't track the text. The text (as you saw from the TOC) teaches more of an earth science while the student book covers names, location, mapping of the world.

HTH,

Lisa

I really like the student text as that is the only part of the Runkle program that really teaches names and locations of the various countries. You can use it alongside the Runkle text, but it doesn't track the text. The text (as you saw from the TOC) teaches more of an earth science while the student book covers names, location, mapping of the world.

HTH,

Lisa

This is very helpful. Thank you!

We are just about to begin Runkle and I am planning on supplementing with lots of earth science materials-it actually makes a great fit.

Keep in mind that Trail Guide is more political geography and names of rivers, mountains, etc. While Runkle is physical geography. Two different topics. You may want to work in political geography at some point as well.

We are just about to begin Runkle and I am planning on supplementing with lots of earth science materials-it actually makes a great fit.

Keep in mind that Trail Guide is more political geography and names of rivers, mountains, etc. While Runkle is physical geography. Two different topics. You may want to work in political geography at some point as well.

Thanks for telling me this...I've not done geography yet with any of my dc so I didn't even realize this.

I'm editing to add...If I were to wait and do this in 9th (just found out our new cover school requires a World Geography credit) would my dd be able to do this alongside Trail Guide so that she gets the physical and political aspect?

Edited by 5LittleMonkeys

I wanted my dd to have a geography course for 7th grade that will cover both modern day political and physical aspects, and I had made an assumption that the Runkie course would bring it all together. I'm so glad to have read this today. At first I was disappointed, but after looking at the TOC I have decided it would still be an excellent course for dd.

What year do most of you teach modern day political world geography?

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

I wanted my dd to have a geography course for 7th grade that will cover both modern day political and physical aspects, and I had made an assumption that the Runkie course would bring it all together. I'm so glad to have read this today. At first I was disappointed, but after looking at the TOC I have decided it would still be an excellent course for dd.

What year do most of you teach modern day political world geography?

Blessings,

Lucinda

I like to teach it in 7th or 8th so that the foundation is laid before heading into high school. Also, while the Runkle text teaches physical geography (and could even count as an earth science IMO), the student book covers political geography. They don't even really go toghether. You can use one without the other, depending on how you want to shape the course.

Lisa

I like to teach it in 7th or 8th so that the foundation is laid before heading into high school. Also, while the Runkle text teaches physical geography (and could even count as an earth science IMO), the student book covers political geography. They don't even really go toghether. You can use one without the other, depending on how you want to shape the course.

Lisa

Thank you, Lisa. I have pretty much decided to go with the Runkle geography, and with what your saying combined with the political geography that we cover in the modern history that goes with our TOG curriculum, it seems like it should all come together before high school...At least I hope so. I just hope we can get it all in before the end of 8th grade!

Blessings,

Lucinda