Menu

Music Appreciation that is NOT Classical?

birchbark

Is there such a thing? We are doing Classical Magic this year and just found out that our curriculum is scheduling classical appreciation/composer study for the program we will be in the year after next. So I was wondering if we could take a break from classical for next year and study something different. It would be for a 5th grader.

We are doing a combination of classical and modern music appreciation. For modern music I choose 5 different artists/groups and found a bio of them at the library and then I choose selections of their music from YouTube. It has been fun. We just finished Mahalia Jackson.

Jazz For Young PeopleI haven't used the whole thing because it's pricey but there are samples on line that are free.
Oh, my!

That is exactly what I have been looking for! But $300?! :001_huh:

DS enjoys classical music, but has a deep passion for all music. I bought "The complete idiot's guide to music history" and hope to piece something together myself.

Right now, I have just been loosely pulling things together as they arise. Decided to study Gershwin, then DS wanted to learn "Summertime" on his guitar. DS was learning a Santana song on his guitar, so I checked out a book from the library on him. Nothing too exciting or organized. :tongue_smilie:

We really enjoyed Winton Marsalis's presentations on music when dd was around this age. They're fairly short, about 3 to 4 hours total, but they're really good at talking about rhythm, melody, syncopation, and jazz.

What types of music do your kids listen to and enjoy at other times? It was also around this age that dd's interest in musicals arose (it has since become a dominant passion for her). We also took her to a number of operas; we got very, very cheap tickets through a homeschool program we were under at the time.

Folk music can also be a wonderful area to explore. I have very, very little knowledge of this at all, but dd has fallen in love with old British ballads.