Menu

Suggestions for CM/Classical curricula?

rowan25

I'm trying to decide if I am going to change directions or not and would like some different options to research. I am familiar with LBC, MFW and AO, but I thought there must be more curricula out there that combines a CM approach with a more Classical mindset. Can anyone give me some other directions to look into?

TIA,

rowan

PS: In case anyone needs further info, I'm looking for my soon to be 7 year old. We are currently using a combination of OM and Higher Up Further In. She would be considered advanced in Lang. Arts, on level in Math, and normally interested in science/social studies. Handwriting needs work, so fine motor skills need fine tuning. She easily reads around a 3rd/4th grade level with good comprehension, but HATES narration. She does well with answering questions when prompted and will sometimes add information that way, but she seems at a loss as to begin a true narration. HTH!

Edited by rowan25
further info provided

FWIW, we're doing AO with a classical mindset ;) CM was a classical educator herself, but we like to blend WTM methods with AO content (and SOTW). For example, we're doing R&S English for grammar (quite formal), dictation for spelling (CM), CLE Math and CLE Reading (what works for us), etc. You get the idea!

As for complete packages, I've heard very good things about Heart of Dakota. I haven't used it myself, but this might just fit the bill for you :)

Good luck!

FWIW, we're doing AO with a classical mindset ;) CM was a classical educator herself, but we like to blend WTM methods with AO content (and SOTW). For example, we're doing R&S English for grammar (quite formal), dictation for spelling (CM), CLE Math and CLE Reading (what works for us), etc. You get the idea!

As for complete packages, I've heard very good things about Heart of Dakota. I haven't used it myself, but this might just fit the bill for you :)

Good luck!

Yes, that's sortof what I'm trying with Higher Up Further In--to mesh it with OM. I am finding, though, that I like the ease of having everything in one place, so to speak. Thanks for the suggestion!

She easily reads around a 3rd/4th grade level with good comprehension, but HATES narration. She does well with answering questions when prompted and will sometimes add information that way, but she seems at a loss as to begin a true narration. HTH!

Is narration something you want to be doing more of? If so, Heart of Dakota schedules narrations (and narration-type activities) frequently and also gives explicit instruction on how to do them.

HoD leans CM in perspective, but takes a more classical/traditional approach when it comes to language arts. (At least in Bigger Hearts on up.) It is also very skill-focused, similar to classical. Otherwise you will see more living books, hands-on, short lessons, and poetry a la CM.

My Father's World is a Classical/CM mix.

Is narration something you want to be doing more of? If so, Heart of Dakota schedules narrations (and narration-type activities) frequently and also gives explicit instruction on how to do them.

Not necessarily. Personally I can't stand it either!! :tongue_smilie: But I do see the value in it. I know that it is something that is a part of CM and most of what I have read seems to feel that it is an integral part of a CM education. I have only just started reading Miss Mason's books, myself.

HoD leans CM in perspective, but takes a more classical/traditional approach when it comes to language arts. (At least in Bigger Hearts on up.) It is also very skill-focused, similar to classical. Otherwise you will see more living books, hands-on, short lessons, and poetry a la CM.

My Father's World is a Classical/CM mix.

Thank you for this. It will be helpful to keep in mind as i research these.