Menu

Wanna play Doctor? Help me get ready for my derm app.

About 5 years ago, I noticed that my hair was getting thinner (and thinner and thinner...) In the past 5 years, I've been to a gynecologist, an endocronologist and my family doctor. NOT ONE of them mentioned PCOS or insulin resistance but I believe that is what I have. I have an appointment with a VERY expensive dermatologist next week (that is where my family doctor thinks I need to go next). I want to make sure I get my $$ worth so I'm going in prepared. I have some questions and you ladies have been very helpful in the past so I'm asking for help again.

~Is a dermatologist really who I should see?

~Is it important that I have a diagnosis of PCOS or insulin resistance? Is there a test for either that I should get?

~I've read about metformin being used for people with PCOS. Is it safe for someone who is nursing and could get pregnant at any time?

~Are there any drugs for hirsutism that are safe/unsafe for pregnancy and nursing?

~What supplements should I consider?

~Are there any other questions I need ask him?

Thanks for reading!

Why do you suspect insulin resistance? Do you have other symptoms besides hair loss?

I recently went through some issues with insulin resistance and had a variety of symptoms- but hair loss was not one of them...

I usually associate hair loss with thyroid issues... but I really know nothing about it.

I could help with the insulin resistance part though.

Blessings,

Rebecca

Ok.

I do not know what hirsutism is...

For insulin resistance they usually recommend treating with metformin...

however- you can try dietary/exercise treatment first.

I had excellent results with changing my diet to low glycemic/(south beach) and beginning to exercise regularly.

My symptoms were continual ovarian cysts, irregular cycles, weight gain/difficulty losing weight, extreme sleepiness after eating carbs/sugar, brain fog, low energy, etc.

Metformin is safe for trying to conceive.

I do not know if there is a blood test.

I assume you have had your thyroid checked since you have been to an endocrinologist.

Have you tried changing your diet? It sounds so simple- but if your body is having trouble processing sugar and carbs and you remove the problem- it begins to heal itself.

Rebecca

Ok.

I do not know what hirsutism is...

Excess hair - like on upper lip, chin, belly and/or arms.

I had excellent results with changing my diet to low glycemic/(south beach) and beginning to exercise regularly.

I have PCOS, and nothing works for me like low carb. As soon as I get strict about it, the horomone levels balance out (confirmed with medical tests - as well as the existence of my youngest dd). South Beach has been what's worked best for me too.

PCOS is an endocrine problem, so I'm not sure how a dermatologist would help. My ob/gyn diagnosed me, though. Hormone level tests (too high LH is a marker), fasting glucose tolerance test for the insulin resistance (the 3-hour test is best), and an ultrasound to see if the ovaries are cystic would be some of the ways to diagnose this.

What exactly are you seeing the dermatologist for? Sometimes skin tags and darkening in areas can be a symptom of PCOS or insulin resistance.

I've been on South Beach and working-out since last June and lost 10 pounds. I'm at my goal weight but I still have too much belly fat and there has been no change in the other symptoms.

I'm seeing the derm. because I haven't found a doctor yet that is willing/able to treat all of me. My gynecologist of 10 years sent me to a reproductive endocronologist who helped me conceive #4. I asked him about the hair loss and the jerk laughed and said he'd see me when I weaned her (I nurse until my kids are 2 and he knew it). My family doctor tested my thyroid, found it to be just a tiny bit off but not the cause of my hair loss. He is sending me to the derm. I'm not thrilled to be going there because he is expensive and will only take care of my symptoms but the hair loss is becoming a very large symptom.

I could vent all day about doctors.

I've been on South Beach and working-out since last June and lost 10 pounds. I'm at my goal weight but I still have too much belly fat and there has been no change in the other symptoms.

I'm seeing the derm. because I haven't found a doctor yet that is willing/able to treat all of me. My gynecologist of 10 years sent me to a reproductive endocronologist who helped me conceive #4. I asked him about the hair loss and the jerk laughed and said he'd see me when I weaned her (I nurse until my kids are 2 and he knew it). My family doctor tested my thyroid, found it to be just a tiny bit off but not the cause of my hair loss. He is sending me to the derm. I'm not thrilled to be going there because he is expensive and will only take care of my symptoms but the hair loss is becoming a very large symptom.

I could vent all day about doctors.

I would definitely not ignore the thyroid being "a little bit off". Some doctors are more proactive than others in treating thyroid conditions. Mine was just a little outside of the norm, but I was experiencing extreme memory loss (I'd ask someone the same question 4 times in 5 minutes), fatigue, and a number of other symptoms. As soon as I went on a low dose of thyroid meds, I made an immediate turnaround. I will say I got lucky that the first med they put me on worked for me. I decided to switch to a synthroid after originally being on a generic and I went through a month of insomnia with Synthroid. If that had been the first thing I had tried, I would have given up on thyroid meds.

Lisa

Have you had your ferritin levels checked for iron def. anemia? Symptoms do not all fit, but the belly weight and extra hair could be something else. I have upper lip hair and a belly. But the other symptoms sure sound like low iron stores to me. Esp the hair loss, and cycle issues. Low energy for sure.

:grouphug: