Menu

AnyoneVERY Familiar with Paris?

Been spending most of the past few days busy looking at accommodation for Paris.

Turns out that we may just book 2 Rooms on Priceline, since it may work out less than all of Rick Steves' suggestions (love his book and I do thank all of you for the recommendation :)).

PL has the Paris neighborhoods listed as the following. Yet Paris goes by its Arrondissements ... I wish there was consistency. :confused:

The PL areas are as follows. Please, can someone tell me which are the best in order of most to least preference? Thank you so much.

St. Germain - Latin Quarter – Montparnasse – 6th arrondisement?

La Tour Notre Dame

Villa Lutece Port Royal

Hotels De Paris (Villa) Montparnasse

Libertel Sevres - Vaneau

Holiday Inn St Germain des Prés

Hotel Des Nations Saint-Germain

Mercure Paris Montparnasse

Eiffel Tower – Grenelle – Porte de Versailles – Montparnasse

Hotel Yllen

Novotel Paris Vaugirard

Pavillon Porte de Versailles

Batignolles - Montmartre - Republique – 5th Arrondisement?

Holiday Inn Paris Gare de L'Est (formerly Mercure Terminus Est)

Libertel Le Moulin

Champs Elysees - Opera Quarter West

Libertel Elysees-Ponthieu

Berne Opera Hotel

La Fleche d'Or Hotel

La Defense – Neuilly – 16th Arrondisement?

Hotel Mercure Paris La Defense

Hotel Mercure La Defense Parc

Mercure Hotel Paris Neuilly

Libertel Residence Paris La Defense

Courtyard Paris Neuilly

Novotel Paris La Defense

Opera Quarter East - Les Halles – 10th Arrondisement?

Holiday Inn Opera

Tryp Confort Francois

Corona Opera

Hotel des Victoires

Tulip Inn Sudotel

Hotel Jules

Bastille – Bercy – last choice?

Mercure Paris Gare de Lyon

Thank you so much.

Been spending most of the past few days busy looking at accommodation for Paris.

Turns out that we may just book 2 Rooms on Priceline, since it may work out less than all of Rick Steves' suggestions (love his book and I do thank all of you for the recommendation :)).

PL has the Paris neighborhoods listed as the following. Yet Paris goes by its Arrondissements ... I wish there was consistency. :confused:

The PL areas are as follows. Please, can someone tell me which are the best in order of most to least preference? Thank you so much.

St. Germain - Latin Quarter – Montparnasse – 6th arrondisement?

La Tour Notre Dame

Villa Lutece Port Royal

Hotels De Paris (Villa) Montparnasse

Libertel Sevres - Vaneau

Holiday Inn St Germain des Prés

Hotel Des Nations Saint-Germain

Mercure Paris Montparnasse

Eiffel Tower – Grenelle – Porte de Versailles – Montparnasse

Hotel Yllen

Novotel Paris Vaugirard

Pavillon Porte de Versailles

Batignolles - Montmartre - Republique – 5th Arrondisement?

Holiday Inn Paris Gare de L'Est (formerly Mercure Terminus Est)

Libertel Le Moulin

Champs Elysees - Opera Quarter West

Libertel Elysees-Ponthieu

Berne Opera Hotel

La Fleche d'Or Hotel

La Defense – Neuilly – 16th Arrondisement?

Hotel Mercure Paris La Defense

Hotel Mercure La Defense Parc

Mercure Hotel Paris Neuilly

Libertel Residence Paris La Defense

Courtyard Paris Neuilly

Novotel Paris La Defense

Opera Quarter East - Les Halles – 10th Arrondisement?

Holiday Inn Opera

Tryp Confort Francois

Corona Opera

Hotel des Victoires

Tulip Inn Sudotel

Hotel Jules

Bastille – Bercy – last choice?

Mercure Paris Gare de Lyon

Thank you so much.

A lot depends on what you what you want to do when you are there. I used to live in the 15th - loved it!! If I were to list -

1 - 2 - Champs Elysees/Eiffel Tower. Both put you in great areas. Convenient to lots of places you will probably want to go see anyway. Tons of hotels there.

3 - Montmartre/Sacre Coeur - one of my personal favorites. I love this area. While it is a little farther out, it is gorgeous and has that very artistic Parisian flavor. If I were to go back to Paris, I'd stay there.

4 - The 16th - Can be close to what you want. Can also be close to the Bois de Boulogne - great in the day, risque in the evening. A lot depends on the precise location. Still it is a nice neighborhood.

5 - Loved St. Germain/Montparnasse when I lived there. Don't think I would seek it out as a tourist with limited time.

Here is a link to a pretty decent review of areas in Paris. Worth looking at. http://www.parislogue.com/paris-neighborhoods

Hope this helps some.

3 - Montmartre/Sacre Coeur - one of my personal favorites. I love this area. While it is a little farther out, it is gorgeous and has that very artistic Parisian flavor. If I were to go back to Paris, I'd stay there.

Agree! But if you would rather see other things or be close to public transportation, or...or...Perhaps a travel guide book would help you more. You could select what you want to see or be close to and then make your decision as to where to stay.

You can always use the metro or a cab to go elsewhere.

A lot depends on what you what you want to do when you are there. I used to live in the 15th - loved it!! If I were to list -

1 - 2 - Champs Elysees/Eiffel Tower. Both put you in great areas. Convenient to lots of places you will probably want to go see anyway. Tons of hotels there.

4 - The 16th - Can be close to what you want. Can also be close to the Bois de Boulogne - great in the day, risque in the evening. A lot depends on the precise location. Still it is a nice neighborhood.

5 - Loved St. Germain/Montparnasse when I lived there. Don't think I would seek it out as a tourist with limited time.

Here is a link to a pretty decent review of areas in Paris. Worth looking at. http://www.parislogue.com/paris-neighborhoods

Hope this helps some.

Thank you so much. This is perfect. Thanks for the link also.

BTW, love your siggy quote :). Good reminder for me ...

I looked for the 5 of us at booking.com. We are going in May. I found this apartment close to the Louvre: Residence Pelican Paris 1Er Most of the reviews are good on trip advisor. I love looking at trip advisor to help me decide things. So you can look at the other places. I was having a fit trying to find a room for 5 or even two rooms for less than 250 Euros that wasn't a complete dump and teeny tiny. I found this for 200.

Just google it and I think he has a Facebook page ( I don't do Facebook.) On trip advisor his listing says a minimum of 3 nights, but we are only staying 2. I haven't stayed there yet, though.

Christine

I haven't been in Paris in years, but when I was there I stayed in St. Germain/Latin Quarter (at Hotel des Nations, actually). Not a "touristy" neighborhood, but close to a couple of Metro stations and convenient to get anywhere in the city. And I loved the feel of the arrondisement. But my knowledge is admittedly dated so take with a grain of salt.

• 2 months later...
Guest parisinthespring

I took a look at your list for Montaparnasse and am not familiar with those listed. I know from my own research that Hotel Concorde Montparnasse is worth looking into as its nice but not to the point where you have to dress up to stay there. Its also close to the subway and its easy to get around Paris by train.

It's been several years since I last slept in Paris :0( but if I remember correctly, dh and I stayed here:

Royal Hotel Colisee near Franklin D. Roosevelt metro station in Paris

It wasn't fancy, but clean and tidy. Very close to the FDR metro station for convenience...not far from many tourist sites. Bakeries nearby. ;0) Ooo,la,la

Enjoy a croissant for me while you are there. Don't miss The 'Orsay museum!

When are you going, Negin? My dh is taking our dd for 10 days in Paris in a month's time- he wanted to spend a special time with her before she grows up and leaves the nest- and they both love cafes and she is an artist an all...I never answered your questions on it though because he just booked something online fairly central and they don't know if its good or not. They booked 2 places actually, for some variety.

I get to spend 10 days at home with our ds. I look forward to it!

If you're looking at booking 2 rooms, have you looked at apartment rentals? We used http://ahparis.com/ to find a short-term rental a couple of times (very short... long weekends). One apartment was in the 1st Arrondisement, right across from the Louvre, and was only 80 euro a night. It was a walk-up, but it had a kitchen and laundry and slept 4 easily, and was much cheaper than any hotel we looked at.

Just a thought.

Thank you all so much. :)

After much difficulty, we finally found a place. Not in the main touristy areas, but close to a metro station and it seems to be nice. A Bed & Breakfast from an agency recommended by Rick Steves.

When are you going, Negin? My dh is taking our dd for 10 days in Paris in a month's time- he wanted to spend a special time with her before she grows up and leaves the nest

Peela, we'll be there in June.

I think it's so sweet that your dh and dd are going there together next month :). One of my fondest memories is traveling with my dad many years ago.