Menu

What is out there for history/sci for 3rd graders-engaging but NOT four-year cycle?

HappyGrace

Thinking of breaking out of the classical box with ds next yr for 3rd grade. Also I don't necessarily want to use a curric (HOD, etc.) because I want to go strong on skills (for his seatwork time) and then lighter/more engaging on content stuff.

I'm thinking of just reading good library books with him for history and sci, but afraid that would be too scattered. (Well, I think I can do it for sci but not history.)

An overview of Amer Hist would be good for him-any suggestions for an engaging narrative spine?

We already did a world geography thing in 1st grade last yr with foods from other countries, stories, etc. He liked that type of thing, but WAY too much planning!

Basically I'm trying to ignite the spark with this dc for a love for learning! He pretty much just tolerates schoolwork (opposite of older dd) and wants to play Legos all day. HELP!

I'd go Story of the World but not cover a book in a year.

But if you want good American history, use the books in Sonlight 3. They are perfect for this age, and more engaging than a textbook.

I strongly suggest seeking out living history opportunities locally whether they fit in with your specific history studies or not. They are so vivid and kids tend to remember a lot of detail from an experience like that. Also, Colonial Williamsburg has virtual field trips that include enactments and teaching that are great. Check their website for details.

At that age we watched the 'house' series' on PBS--more because they were on than because I was so smart or something. Frontier House and Manor House were particularly interesting, and there was a lot to talk about in the Colonial House series as well. Again, these are fairly vivid, accurate ways to teach cultural history.

Oddly enough, at about 9 DD got very interested in attending antiques shows for a couple of years. I think that this is because she and her dad watched Antiques Roadshow together, and she viewed the shows in the nature of treasure hunts. This made it easier for her to appreciate some of the other mentioned resources, because she knew the usages of antique implements and tools.

I was wanting something similar for son. I chose Five in a Row. We are starting with books from Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, mainly because he isn't reading yet, and I needed for things to be simple for me. I am still learning about how to best use this, but so far my son really likes it.

Jan

Guest aquiverfull

What about "A Living History of Our World" available at Queen's Homeschool? Volume 1 is available now and V2 should be out soon, I think. I haven't used it but am considering it for my younger girls. They have notebooking pages to go along with it.

You can see more samples here at the author's website or at Queen's.

Elemental science for Physics is very hands-on -- lots of fun activities to go along with very light reading. My brother (a physics professor at a large university) really liked it when he looked at it over Christmas. He said that he would have loved something like that as a kid.

I am looking at GEMS science for my ds. It looks very hand-on, inquiry based and just plain fun. Plus it is unit based, so you can skip around where ever your interest takes you. I am thinking about this one, but there are many to chose from.

In history, well, good luck with a spine. This is very problematic and has spawned much debate here on the boards. Try a thread search to get an overview of what is out there and why *someone* doesn't like it.:D

I ended up planning my own American history for next year using Guest Hollow's free outline/curriculum, some SL core 3 readers and read alouds, and the Homeschool in the Woods Time Traveller series for fun hands-on stuff.

We ran into the same issue with ds--the excitement to learn is just not there like it used to be. I'm ok with that in math, grammar and latin, but in history and science, it really seems like it should be fun, thus the changes. Oh, BTW, you may want to think about doing nature study as part of your science if you don't already--a stronger focus here has really excited ds.

I bought this last year, and my son read it from cover to cover. I finally pulled it out again this year, and he is going to do some of the experiments as a science fair project. He is going to flesh it out with some research on the mysteries he has chosen.

They have all kinds of mysteries and the kids use science to form conclusions.

http://www.amazon.com/Hands-Science-Mysteries-Grades-Standards-Based/dp/0471697605

I found this, but I have not bought it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Sleuths-Activities-Critical-Thinking/dp/0787974358/ref=pd_sim_b_9

I also second the GEMS science. I just received the 2 I ordered. They are great!