Menu

All American History

Tell me what you think of vol. 2 for 6th grade with a tag along 3rd grader. This year I have pieced together my own and I am wore out. I want something simple that I can add to if I want but meaty enough that I don't have to. I want something from a Christian perspective. From Civil War-present. This seems to fit the bill....

Hmm, I think it might be bit meaty for a 3rd grader.

We are just finishing Unit 1, which had 8 lessons. It was essentially Civil War and Restoration afterwards. Each chapter has alot of talk about each president's term, what Amendment and laws were being passed, the political turmoil.

Honestly, I had to read it twice each week to really get everything (I pre-read the chapters)! Don't get me wrong, I love to learn about the Civil War era, but I am more about the personal side of it, the people affected, how they lived, etc. AAH2 goes over that as well, but digs deeper into the political side then I was expecting.

We love AAH here, but it can be a bit "dry", just a bit and I would think most of it would be "boring" for a 3rd grader.

With effort on your part, you could bring it down, adding appropriate reading, watch movies, etc.....but I am always of the mind if I have to put that much effort into a curriculum to make it work, then it probably wasn't the right curriculum to begin with. Now, I do all of those things for DS12, adding reading from the included book list, watch Netflix docs on topic, but that is just to help bring it alive, not for help comprehending, ya know? So if it is a busy week and that doesn't happen, it isn't like he couldn't get the jist of it without those things.

Plus the student pages, not really "fun", for a 3rd grader. But a key element in the program, so shouldn' t be skipped.

Although I love AAH and happy we selected that, I really wouldn't recommend it for younger than 6th. I know it says you can use it for younger and even gives a book list for younger but you are going to have to pretty much paraphrase every lesson. But when it is about Amendments, etcs, not sure how you would even paraphrase that to keep the interest of a 3rd grader.

We've used AAH 1 & 2. I definitely wouldn't recommend this for a 3rd grader. I just think it's too much for a child that age to comprehend. And as the previous poster said, if you have to do a ton of work to bring it down, it's not the right choice. :) I used AAH for 7th and 8th grade for my older daughter, and am saving it to use for the younger in a few years. Good luck to you!

J

We have enjoyed the Time Travelers series for my 4th grader. They have them for Civil War, and Industrial Revolution through Great Depression. They have some nice optional hands-on activities that are great for younger kids. Just something to consider that isn't as intense as AAH. I agree that's way too much info for a 3rd grader.

Here's a link: http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/TTS/CivilWar.htm

We've used AAH 1 & 2. I definitely wouldn't recommend this for a 3rd grader. I just think it's too much for a child that age to comprehend. And as the previous poster said, if you have to do a ton of work to bring it down, it's not the right choice. :) I used AAH for 7th and 8th grade for my older daughter, and am saving it to use for the younger in a few years. Good luck to you!

J

:iagree:

I love AAH!

I'm looking at AAH for my rising 6th grader next year. I think, tho, I may go with Winter Promise's American Culture.

Have you looked at it? I think it'd be easier to make a little lighter for your 3rd grader. The readings and activities seem kind of light--and the read alouds would be fine, imo, for 3rd grade.

Anyway, just an idea!