Menu

Getting very tired of this

We have a tank of heating/cooking gas in our back garden. When it snowed in November, the delivery company got a bit backed up. We ordered gas on December 8th. Then it snowed again. They tried to deliver on December 20th, but couldn't because of snow - there wasn't any snow here by that time, but there might have been at the depot. By using the central heating for only a couple of hours a day, we managed to limp through to January 3rd, at which point the gas pressure was so low that the boiler would no longer light. The gas company put us on the emergency list and scheduled us for a delivery yesterday, which did not arrive. The company hasn't worked out why yet - they subcontract deliveries. There is no delivery scheduled for tomorrow.

Throughout this time we have talked to the company, cajoled, complained, threatened letters to the newspaper, written letters to the newspaper, talked to managers... all to no avail. They are charging us 50% more than do their competitors, but we can't switch until we've had this delivery. Oh, the company is BP, so there's a reason they can't reduce their prices.

We have a wood stove which heats the front of the house, and we have our own supply of wood. We keep the kitchen warm with the gas ovens, which are still functioning. But the bedrooms and bathrooms are down to 3 degrees C/37 degrees F and our only shower is a rather feeble electric one. It's snowing again tonight. So far we only have two inches, but the depot is bound to be snowbound, so who knows when this will end.

Laura (very grumpy)

Edited by Laura Corin

I'm curious -- Is living in Scotland worse than living in China? :bigear:

Living in a developing country, one keeps one's expectations extremely low.

We are looking into getting a larger tank - we had something similar happen to us last year too.

Laura

Sorry for you :( I HATE being cold!! Sorry about the lack of heat. We have only wood stove heat, usually, as we have no insulation. I'm sure that you've used it for long enough to know... and perhaps you have... a wood stove fan on it? My husband, before then.... had fans all over the place... in a certain way... that his engineer brain said to place them.... :(

Sorry for you :( I HATE being cold!! Sorry about the lack of heat. We have only wood stove heat, usually, as we have no insulation. I'm sure that you've used it for long enough to know... and perhaps you have... a wood stove fan on it? My husband, before then.... had fans all over the place... in a certain way... that his engineer brain said to place them.... :(

I just looked them up and they look great! Does it work well?

Laura

Try hot water bottles in the beds. Makes a big difference.

Can you get space heaters for the bedrooms? It does not sound you like you will get a delivery any time soon. Evidently, even Britain is part of the "snow chaos" in Europe. Winter has you guys firmly in its grip.

:tongue_smilie:

The fans are worth it, if you use the wood stove for a majority of heat. It's not like... say... central heat :) But... it does enough, that it was worth the investment. I think for us... (in America:)) it was just over $200, not more than $250. It's running right now. I'm not sure if they all work like ours, but ours kicks on automatically when the stove gets hot enough. (Plugged into electricity)