Menu

LG or UG for TOG???

breffe

I am trying to decide which level to put my dd into. She is going to 7.5 when we start 2nd grade in September. She solidly reads at a 5.5 grade level. I am not sure whether I should put her in LG or UG?

Everything I can read about on the TOG website is that the LG stage is for those who are non-readers. So based on that description then I should be putting her at the UG level.

I was wondering if those of you that have had a similar experience could maybe chime in and help me! I don't want her to be bored but I also don't want her in over her head! I am trying to make my book list and that is why I am looking for some advice!

What year are you looking at? I find the picks in year 1 to be easier than the rest of the years, especially year 3 and 4.

Though all years include some chapter books at the UG level, year 1 has the least. By year 4 pretty much all of them are chapter books, but the save the books with content issues for D level.

If it helps I have my 5th grader in LG, but she will move up to UG when we go back to year 1. My 4th grader I will pick and choose LG books, spreading out the reading. She is ready for chapter books, but not quite at the pace that TOG moves at.

Heather

My dd will be 7.75 when we start next year. She also reads at a 4th - 5th grade level but I think the amount of reading at ug level would suck the fun out of it for her.

I don't know if you have youngers but here is our plan. I read the lower grammar history aloud to all kids. DD will be assigned the lit reading from ug most weeks - there are a few that I think will be over her head but otherwise I think you'd be fine having your dd in ug lit. I put ug and lg in-depth (and/or similar books) into a book basket that get read on her own time. HTH!

My 3rd grader, who is a good reader, found the UG amount of reading to be hard!! It was a lot and she often didn't finish a book.

IMHO, I'd stay at the LG level and pick an interesting UG book about once a month or so (particularly in literature, not in history) to add. In fact, I might do UG lit and LG history. My two have done better with the lit reading at the UG level than the history at UG. History is more factual and harder to read for them, in general. I definitely wouldn't do a whole UG program with a 2nd grader.

I haven't had time yet this morning to look over the book list again! School and all. But I am really liking this idea of doing all LG for the 2nd grader and just pulling in an UG book every once in awhile. I am just learning to tailor things to our needs and have always had an all or nothing outlook on life. I am hoping I will be able to remember all is not always good!

I am trying to decide which level to put my dd into. She is going to 7.5 when we start 2nd grade in September. She solidly reads at a 5.5 grade level. I am not sure whether I should put her in LG or UG?

Everything I can read about on the TOG website is that the LG stage is for those who are non-readers. So based on that description then I should be putting her at the UG level.

I was wondering if those of you that have had a similar experience could maybe chime in and help me! I don't want her to be bored but I also don't want her in over her head! I am trying to make my book list and that is why I am looking for some advice!

My son was at that reading level as well when he was that age. I believe I scheduled the LG history readings, and the UG literature readings.

Krista