Menu

One Decade Being Mama

Dh & I are both sick, so I was worried about how this day would go down. It's always hard w/ birthdays that fall during Christmas fall-out.

A cup was broken, all the dishes were dirty, the dw is leaking brown water.

We didn't have a gift yet--we usually do that on the weekend. But he said he wanted to play a game over chicken pot pie tonight. Such a sweet, simple request, & we were thinking of getting a Catan game for him anyway. Dh found one on sale & picked it up on the way home--Trails to Rails--& we spent the next several hours playing. Ds won, & I'm not sure he's ever won Catan.

He told us this was his best birthday ever. He said that getting a gift like Catan--all his own--made him feel like a man. :crying: Isn't that sweet? I was afraid I was being too...something...& that was too "educational" & we should have done something more toy-ish. His birthday is easy to be annoyed w/ because of the date, & I'm SO glad that we were able to make him feel special today!

And he is totally on that cusp of growing up this year. He's learned to make coffee & sometimes has it ready for me when I get up. He likes to sleep on the floor so he can be beside his little brother, to tell him stories, sing to him, or even after little one's asleep, just be near him. (And this is coming from a kid who's *always* hated sleeping on the floor.) He helped w/ potty-training, he fixes lunches, & is generally more respectful than I could ever hope. But with a wicked dry sense of humor.

This is him at Halloween--he & little bro are the Wright bros. And if you asked him, he could tell you which one he is. :D

post-2128-13535084352214_thumb.jpg

post-2128-13535084352214_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aubrey

He told us this was his best birthday ever. He said that getting a gift like Catan--all his own--made him feel like a man. :crying: Isn't that sweet? I was afraid I was being too...something...& that was too "educational" & we should have done something more toy-ish. His birthday is easy to be annoyed w/ because of the date, & I'm SO glad that we were able to make him feel special today!

And he is totally on that cusp of growing up this year. He's learned to make coffee & sometimes has it ready for me when I get up. He likes to sleep on the floor so he can be beside his little brother, to tell him stories, sing to him, or even after little one's asleep, just be near him. (And this is coming from a kid who's *always* hated sleeping on the floor.) He helped w/ potty-training, he fixes lunches, & is generally more respectful than I could ever hope. But with a wicked dry sense of humor.

Oh my — the line about "feeling like a man" even choked me up. What a special little guy you have!

Jackie