Menu

What math to use to keep DS2 challenged?

mlktwins

Hi all! I have 5.5 year old twins that I started homeschooling this past summer. Even though both boys are somewhat advanced in math and reading (acutally DS2 is quite a bit more advanced than DS1), I wanted to start them in a program that would teach the basics -- I didn't want to miss anything. So...I'm using Rightstart A (could have probably started on B with DS2) and the don't mind doing it. But...DS2 though would do so much more math each day. He/we are always talking about math -- like all the time. For example, on our way to church on Sunday, he was watching the clock (we had 7 minutes to get there before church started). Instead of telling me we have 7 minutes to get there, he tells me we have 420 seconds to get there. What 5 year old does this?!?!?! I asked him if he is adding or multiplying. He says he is adding 60 seven times. He does this with Wii too -- he can tell me very quickly how far ahead or behind he is from the other player (i.e. 263-141=122). He knows his money and coins well (can count money really high), can add and subtract in his head very quickly, knows the analog clock to the minute, we are working on measuring (rulers, etc), he knows simple fractions (whole, half, third and quarter).

What math supplement can I use to keep him busy and challenged, but not miss anything? He doesn't mind doing worksheets. On paper, he isn't listening to me when we talking about adding down and carrying numbers. He just does it in his head in like 2 seconds. I may not be homeschooling him forever and he will need to know how to do things on paper and not just in his head on the time.

Any advice?

I wouldn't keep them together. Let the twin who is doing well with RS A continue on in that program and have the other one do something like Math Mammoth 1. Both MM and RS are based on the Asian way of teaching math but MM is more independent and easier to accelerate than RS.

For your mathy kid I'd go with something like Miquon. RR sells a curriculum called "Calculus for Children" that he might well find diverting. I'd probably be inclined to give him exploratory materials as a supplement to whatever he's doing with his brother, rather than accelerating him a great deal, just to make sure, as you mentioned, you don't miss anything.

Though with a kid that quick things missed can always be caught up again very quickly, so it may well not be worth stressing over.

I've looked into MM before (and almost bought it) and will look at it again. I with also look at Math Miquon. Thanks ladies!

I have already separated them for phonics/reading and math. DS2 is flying through his ETC (halfway through book 3). I was pacing him before (half a lesson a day), but now I'm just letting him go (usually 1-2 lessons a day). DS1 is on Book 3 also and can do the work, but he just isn't into school as much as brother. DS1 is definietly not as advanced with math and doesn't much care :tongue_smilie:. I can't hold back DS2 because of it.

Am still open to other suggestions/recommendations.

• 2 weeks later...
I would start by giving him the Singapore placement test and placing him properly. Enrichment is nessesary for these kids, but so is acceleration. You don't want him frustrated because he has to continue doing work that is unchallenging for him. Kids rebel against that eventually.

Another thing you could look into is EPGY. The program automatically adjusts to the child's level and practice needs for each concept so if they get all of the geometry problems right, they move on. if they struggle a bit with fractions, they get more practice. That would help with your worry about holes in his knowledge.

:iagree:

Singapore and/or EPGY. You may also look at things such as Hands on Equations, Challenge Math books, etc.