Menu

Help me think through my preliminary 8th grade plans

Ok-- so as of right now this is my plan. I want my dd to be prepared for 9th grade when I start her in MFW

Bible- Finish Who Am I then go onto Who Is My Brother? (both from Apologia) A few character development books

Math- Patty Paper Geometry and Chalkdust Algebra 1

English- Applications of Grammer Book 2, Finish Jump-In (whatever we have left from this year)

History- This is sticky, we are going to go through summers to get this in because we started homeschooling in 5th (a complete bomb year for everything but math) So, right now we are doing MOH 2, After this we will go into MOH 3 then AAH2.I am hoping between this school year, this summer, next school year and the summer before 9th to fit that all in. We are just over half way through MOH 2.

Science- Apologia Physical Science w/ DIVE dvd

Reading- Continue with Figuratively Speaking if we do not finish this year and I dont know what to do past that-- any suggestions? I do have Classical Writing Poetry for older beginners that we will do if we do not get to it this year (7th)

She has not had alot of formal writing instruction- just jump in and a little with her grammer (We did BJU in 6th). Would you recommend anything for writing? Should I do writing strands 4 and 5 with her? I saw that on the MFW website for kids with little writing instruction. Would you recommend something else? Is Jump In enough?

Reading- Continue with Figuratively Speaking if we do not finish this year and I dont know what to do past that-- any suggestions? I do have Classical Writing Poetry for older beginners that we will do if we do not get to it this year (7th)

She has not had alot of formal writing instruction- just jump in and a little with her grammer (We did BJU in 6th). Would you recommend anything for writing? Should I do writing strands 4 and 5 with her? I saw that on the MFW website for kids with little writing instruction. Would you recommend something else? Is Jump In enough?

I'd recommend adding vocabulary, a writing program, a more extensive literature study, and a foreign language.

:iagree: I would encourage to listen to SWB's lectures on writing if you haven't already. The one on middle school and high school would be most helpful. I would also read through this thread. Solidifiying writing skills seems to be a recurring theme in the thread I linked (which links a thread on the high school board).

Literature study could be done WTM style or using something like Lightning Lit 7 or 8. There are also a plethora of free lit guides on the web if you'd prefer to pull your own materials. Again SWB's lecture on literature study would be most helpful. They make me feel more secure about not going with a structured program.

I like CW's poetry program, but I wouldn't do it in lieu of a strong writing program. Whether Jump in is enough may depend on your goals and your dc's ability.

I understand about wanting to get in the history coverage, but I'm not sure I would try to speed up content. Your dc may be fine with covering MOH and AAH in a little over a year, my ds would revolt. IMO I would pick one text and cover the rest using a living book, narrative book, video type format.

HTH

I'd recommend adding vocabulary, a writing program, a more extensive literature study, and a foreign language.

Oh I forgot- she will be finishing vocabulary vine then starting vocabulary vine science roots and vocabulary cartoons. We keep starting a language- its hard to keep up with though. That is something I have to be more diligent about.

Any recommendations on a writing program? We will be finishing Jump In but what would you recommend after that?

Any suggestions for a Lit program?

:iagree: I would encourage to listen to SWB's lectures on writing if you haven't already. The one on middle school and high school would be most helpful. I would also read through this thread. Solidifiying writing skills seems to be a recurring theme in the thread I linked (which links a thread on the high school board).

Literature study could be done WTM style or using something like Lightning Lit 7 or 8. There are also a plethora of free lit guides on the web if you'd prefer to pull your own materials. Again SWB's lecture on literature study would be most helpful. They make me feel more secure about not going with a structured program.

I like CW's poetry program, but I wouldn't do it in lieu of a strong writing program. Whether Jump in is enough may depend on your goals and your dc's ability.

I understand about wanting to get in the history coverage, but I'm not sure I would try to speed up content. Your dc may be fine with covering MOH and AAH in a little over a year, my ds would revolt. IMO I would pick one text and cover the rest using a living book, narrative book, video type format.

HTH

That is a good idea about the history-- I might do that- just stick with MOH then pull together the rest of American History through other ways. I am going to look into that :001_smile:

I have not listened to the lit lecture but I did the writing. Maybe I need to go listen again. I do have her outlining and such- but thats about it other than the Jump in and the little bit in her english.

Thank you-- some more good ideas to consider! I have about 3 months before I start purchasing for her so I have to get it together lol. I have my 3rd graders stuff figured out for next year-- just working on my soon to be 8th grader.

My 8th grader has always complained about it, but this year I watched him bloom with the ability to knock out decent literary essay or short research paper without much help at all. There' some polishing to be done, but he is truly ready for high school level writing IMHO.

I'm a big believer in IEW to the point that I teach paid classes with it, but everyone is different!

Thank you-- some more good ideas to consider! I have about 3 months before I start purchasing for her so I have to get it together lol. I have my 3rd graders stuff figured out for next year-- just working on my soon to be 8th grader.

I'm in a similar boat with research and planning, :grouphug:. I thought 7th grade looked so serious, but the thought of 8th grade seems ever more so. :001_huh:

Wrangler, we had done outlining in the past, but I'm bumping it up a notch having her outline the BJU Life Science (new for us this semester). We'll see how it goes. Apparently outlining is a common method of textbook study. Somebody suggested the book "How to Study in College" for different methods of approaching textbooks. So you have writing across the curriculum and textbook study skills that I would look for.

Did you list logic? You're doing Fallacy Detective this year. I had always assumed we would do the MP sequence, simply because it's logically (haha) laid out. Well then I looked at the logic books by Douglas Wilson and liked them too! I'll have to look some more. I have one of the windows open right now in fact. :)

Ok, now I'll say something, just because (and toss if you want). Your dc is on the young end of the grade and you bumped her up for what you call her because it defacto fits her levels, right? You're now to that age where it will change when she graduates. Is that what you want? Just tossing that out there. Otherwise, 8th is when you need to get religion about planning through high school stuff. Everything you chose for 8th is chosen with an eye to how it sets you up for your 9th and up progression. Did you see the new Debra Bell book on homeschooling high school? It got recommended in another thread. I just ordered a copy. :)

Overall, looks like a good plan and like you have things in order! The main thing I'd do is think through skills. That's what I'm focusing on now, skills. Writing, how to handle textbooks, scheduling (not now, but probably in the next year or so), that sort of thing.