Menu

There are good people out there

Hobbes has been ill since yesterday, spiking fevers which I've been able to control with paracetemol. This evening the fever was higher (40.1C/104F) and it wasn't brought down by the paracetemol. I spoke to the nurse on the phone - she suggested trying ibuprofen instead; if that didn't work I should bring him to the emergency room.

There isn't an all-night pharmacy nearby, so I drove to our nearest big supermarket. It was shut, but there was a member of staff indoors. I beckoned her over, she opened the door a crack, and I explained the story. She looked around, then said, "I shouldn't do this, but come on in." We went and found the medicine and I paid her in exact change; she'll put it through the register in the morning. I thanked her profusely and drove back. Hobbes temperature had already started to fall by the time I got home, but I dosed him with the ibuprofen and he's sleeping peacefully.

Laura

That's lovely. It's good to be reminded how kind people can be.

Hope Hobbes is feeling better. There's a system for interespersing doses of ibuprofen with doses of paracetemol that we were advised to use by a doctor. That worked well to bring down a persistent fever.