Menu

Can anyone tell me about henna hair color?

So, I'm begining to look like the bugs bunny witch (sans the levitating hair clips). I've always hated the idea of coloring my hair for lots of reasons but find that now, hate it or not, I think I'm going to color my hair.

I tend toward going too long b/t hair appointments and the thought of having a visible line b/t the colored hair and the natural hair is too hideous to contemplate. Still, it's good to know my limitations, right?

So, I'm thinking henna. Someone I don't know well, and therefore couldn't say if she's a reliable source, told someone within my hearing that she should consider henna b/c it would fade out rather than grow out. I'm not sure exactly what they were talking about but it sounds like what I'm talking about. I didn't really know these women well enough to barge into their conversation to ask.

My question then: will henna fade uniformly rather than grow out with a horrid line of demarcation in the grey battle?

Also, where do you get henna?

AAAAAaannnd, the girl who does my hair does not do color. not even for me.:glare: I told her that I had heard that ppl go to beauty colleges (heard that here) and would that be an option for color. She said it would be a good idea but that she doubts that they would have henna. I'd probably have to get it and take it with me.

??

Would someone who can do regular color also be able to do henna? Is it the same process? Not chemical process but . . . procedure?

Is this a good idea at all? I'm nervous and don't want to come out looking like a nightmare.

Don't they have to mix henna for the right color? If they don't teach that, how on earth could they do my hair?

Any help?

I used Henna in the 70s:D Are you trying to cover grey hair? I have heard that it does not do well with grey hair and many stylists do not use it anymore. It easy to apply so you could always give it a whirl. Do you have a Sally's Beauty Supply near you/ They may be helpful. If you are trying to cover grey, then I would consider semi-permanent color. My stylist uses a color mixture of 2 colors that are not darker than my hair and it still covers the grey. MariannNova may have some advice as well as I have seen her post about how to color hair. You could also try a beauty school for color.

I use henna glosses (henna mixed with conditioner) to dye my white/gray hair a gold/coppery color. I have mostly brown hair, so it gives a coppery cast to the brown as well.

What do you need to know about henna?

Only use body art quality (BAQ) henna. Other types of henna can possibly turn your hair green if it has been chemically processed or it could actually be dangerous depending on the ingredients.

The only color you can get with henna is various shades of red, anything from a strawberry blonde/coppery blonde to reddish-purple. How red you get depends on what color your hair is to start with, if you dilute the henna and how long you leave it on. You can get a blackish color if you layer indigo on top of the henna. You can dilute henna with other herbs or conditioner.*You must save your hair and do strand tests to figure out how long you need to use the henna and at what concentration.*

Henna is permanent. It may fade naturally on some types of hair. There are ways to get it to fade. But, you need to go into it with a permanent mindset.

If your hair is entirely gray/white, there will be a demarcation line.

You can order henna over the Internet or purchase it at Indian groceries. Sometimes, they carry it at organic groceries. Do not confuse 100 percent henna with henna-based hair dyes. Henna-based dyes usually have very little actual henna.

The process of using is henna is mixing up the henna powder with hot water and a bit of something acidic (like vinegar) to get a yogurt-like consistency. You leave it in a warm place for 12 to 24 hours (up to 48 or 72 hours, I don't remember at the moment) for the dye to release. If you want the brightest red possible, you apply the "mud" straight to your hair, bag it up and leave it on for a while, usually hours. You leave it on for less time for lighter shades. To get my coppery tint, I mix 1/3 henna mud with 2/3 conditioner and apply it for 8 minutes.

Rinsing requires patience, especially if you use undiluted "mud." Using lots of conditioner can help rinse out most of the bits and mask the "grassy" smell. After rinsing, it takes a day or two for your hair to "oxidize" and reach the color it is going to stay. Usually, the red tones down a little once that happens.

I'm far from being an expert, especially on using straight henna, but that will at least get you started. Good luck!

Ok, so here's the scoop. I use Light Mountain Natural. Color the Gray. "Light Brown". It's a two step process. First, you mix up the henna packets.... one for before... and one for after... The first makes your hair that is gray... kinda orange or pink. Don't freak out... :) The second grabs the pink or orange and colors that.. in addition to the rest. Mine turns a bit of a red/brown and then as it grows out... it's a gradual thing. You really would need to do it about every 6 wks if you want it to "keep colored"...... I get it through my co-op for $8 a box. I think it's about $16 at the Health Food Store.... I think it's worth it. I got my hair highlighted... and spent about $80 (friend that did it... said she was giving me a "break" :)) Anyway, the highlights didn't cover the gray... Just gave me highlights... not what I wanted...

I also bought one of the little hairdryers you sit under... to cure it. (You have to keep your hair warm for about 45 minutes to cure the henna) After the first time... it's just about a 2 hr commitment... which is about what getting it done in the shop requires... and much less $$$ :)

What Chandra said mostly.

I have done a few henna glosses. It seems to be a nice way to ease yourself into it because henna does not quite color everyone the same. It depends a lot on your starting color and the type/amount of henna/presence of other herbs (like cassia which is darker). Everyone is unique.

Henna will leave a demarcation line. I think it will fade somewhat but not enough for no one to notice, again it depends on how bright/dark you make it and how often you color.

You can do all your henna yourself. Most people do. They buy it at online sources like Henna for hair or at whole food type stores.

Henna has a smell. Some say its like grass. Some weeds. Some people like it. Some put up with it. Others hate it. Your hair will smell this way.

Henna strengthens your hair. Because it infuses the hair strand (instead of coating it) it is extremely difficult/impossible to remove and most salons will not dye or bleach over it because they can't ensure the final color. It can turn out really wacky.

Henna is a great natural alternative and many gray/white haired women enjoy using it, but it is not a sure thing. Most people want a sure thing.

If you're curious about henna do some research. The long hair community forum has a great FAQ about it. Henna for hair has a lot of information. If you do find it interesting I would recommend a gloss before going all out. Also many people color every month or two and areas that have been hennaed before will be brighter red then newly treated areas. Because of this when most people find their 'perfect' color they only do the roots.

Here is my blog post from my first henna experience. (I didn't know how to turn pics back then so you will need to touch your left ear to your left shoulder and say 'hokey-pokey' to see the picture.) I think it's the fifth post down.

http://ohmynoodness.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html

I love henna! it is a committment, I'll give ya that. I did a hair test on a hairball first and liked the colour so went full speed ahead. I researched it and read about it for MONTHS, then...ordered it a month later.....then had it for at least a month before I took the plunge.

I love it.

I leave it on for 3-4 hours then soak in a tub of warm water to let it loosen, then shampoo it out. IT IS PERMANENT. That is why you henna your hairball first.

It does smell like wet hay, though. :001_huh:

ETA: Oh, and henna has been known to pull the curl out a bit, so I now put some amla in with it and do amla treatments later to put the curl back in. As you can see from the pic my hair went from curly/wurly to just wavy. And, the first time I left it on longer and the first time I rinsed it out in the backyard because I was worried about the tub drain. (we are on septic and I envisioned a huge plumber bill, but have used the tub ever since and it's been fine.)

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl

I have used the hennas from Lush. It does not generally cover gray in a way that matches it to your hair color. It doesn't matter so much for me, my hair is so curly that it doesn't show.

Honestly, I like regular hair color better. It's easier to guess what your color will be when you're finished, it's easier to use, you can get semi-permanent colors, etc.

Oh, I should have added: I get my henna from the local Indian market. It costs $1.99 and one box lasts me for two applications. Or, you can mix it all up and freeze it in a tube in plastic wrap. To do a root application only I put it into a pastry bag and pipe it on, or put it in a bowl and brush it on with a haircolour brush.

I have ordered cassia (what blonde's use to cover grey on blonde hair) to make a more strawberry-blonde red. I ordered it from Mehandi.com

http://www.mehandi.com/

She is really knowledgable and explains the science behind the henna.

ETA: After my henna oxidized it came out pretty close to the dog's hair in my avatar.

I buy my henna online from Rainbow Research Corp. I have dark brown hair, but it is probably 50% gray. I buy either medium chestnut brown or dark chestnut brown, which matches my brown hairs well and looks like reddish/brownish highlights in the white hair. It also conditions and smooths the hair. I mix about a cup of henna with black coffee and add about 2 or 3 tablespoons of vinegar and I leave it in for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

Take care,

Suzanne

Ok, so here's the scoop. I use Light Mountain Natural. Color the Gray. "Light Brown". It's a two step process. First, you mix up the henna packets.... one for before... and one for after... The first makes your hair that is gray... kinda orange or pink. Don't freak out... :) The second grabs the pink or orange and colors that.. in addition to the rest. Mine turns a bit of a red/brown and then as it grows out... it's a gradual thing. You really would need to do it about every 6 wks if you want it to "keep colored"...... I get it through my co-op for $8 a box. I think it's about $16 at the Health Food Store.... I think it's worth it. I got my hair highlighted... and spent about $80 (friend that did it... said she was giving me a "break" :)) Anyway, the highlights didn't cover the gray... Just gave me highlights... not what I wanted...

I also bought one of the little hairdryers you sit under... to cure it. (You have to keep your hair warm for about 45 minutes to cure the henna) After the first time... it's just about a 2 hr commitment... which is about what getting it done in the shop requires... and much less $$$ :)

I used to use the Light Mountain Henna too. I LOVED my hair when I used it. It got sooooooo healthy and full. The only problem was that I would periodically get orange colors and stranges patches of color where my gray hair is. It wasn't uniformally colored each and every time. Some sections would not "take". I don't recall their being a 2 step process though either, so perhaps they've changed (?) the way it's done. It was also extremely messy, like putting mud and twigs in your hair. I finally got tired of fiddling with it, it was a lot of work compared to regular permanent color...so I went back to Loreal Preference. My hair is not nearly as healthy as it was when I used the Henna. :tongue_smilie:

Seconding, or rather, thirding the Mehandi.com / hennaforhair.com recommendation. She *is* very knowledgeable and explains well. Also has a great site with great customer service.

Read her info on coloring over gray. I 'hear' it tends to go rather 'neon' on the gray, not exactly blending, so if you have sporadic strands, you'd probably be ok, but if you have chunks, meh, you might want to rethink the idea.

I love, love, LOVE henna! I love the feel of my hair. The color is awesome (once the bright phase settles down (you'll read about the first couple of days after hennaing)).

Go to Mehandi.com / hennaforhair.com (same site/owner, Mehandi is geared toward body art and hennaforhair focuses on hair care, recipes for coloring). I would trust any other source she recommends, but I have only ordered from her directly.

I used to use the Light Mountain Henna too. I LOVED my hair when I used it. It got sooooooo healthy and full. The only problem was that I would periodically get orange colors and stranges patches of color where my gray hair is. It wasn't uniformally colored each and every time. Some sections would not "take". I don't recall their being a 2 step process though either, so perhaps they've changed (?) the way it's done. It was also extremely messy, like putting mud and twigs in your hair. I finally got tired of fiddling with it, it was a lot of work compared to regular permanent color...so I went back to Loreal Preference. My hair is not nearly as healthy as it was when I used the Henna. :tongue_smilie:

They have one kind that is just henna... I used that for my daughters :) ... and another for those who have grey hair that they're trying to hide:) That's the two step one. The one for just coloring is only one step... :)