Menu

MCT for my son with ADHD....will it be a good fit?

Mosaicmind

I have thought about getting MCT for Samuel who is 10 and doing 5th grade work. He is severely ADHD and has sensory processing disorder also. He is currently on medication for his ADHD and it's working great. I am trying to tailor his curriculum to his needs and he doesn't do well with workbooks except for SWO which he loves. Grammar seems to be a subject that he hates and we have struggled with doing R&S, LLATL, ILL, and such. I have investigated MCT and it looks like it would work for him.

For those using MCT what do you think? I would probably only use the grammar, poetry and practice parts of the curriculum. I was thinking the Island series would be a good place to start since he struggles with and hates anything having to do with language arts.

Do I need the student and teacher's for each of those areas? If I do, I might as well buy the whole basic homeschool package. I don't want to order more than I have to.

My son is LEGO building extraordinaire, too! As well as having sensory processing disorder, a visual processing disorder, and being very wiggly.

I tried using MCT with him, but he couldn't sit still long enough. He is 9 and not a fluent reader yet, so it was just too much. There is a considerable amount of reading involved, whether you read it to him or he reads it to himself. After trying MCT (lowest level -- Town, I think?), we switched back to FLL.

After he is fluent with reading (which he taking off with, but not quite there yet), I plan on doing Writing With Ease and then graduate him to either Writing Strands or IEW. That's a ways off, though, so my mind might change. :tongue_smilie:

My ADHD dd LOVES MCT. :) I think part of it is that it doesn't require her to write in a workbook. For compositions and sentence analysis, I am her scribe. She recently started medication, which helps a TON, and she still loves MCT. I enjoy it, too. :)

You only need the teacher books. I also like to buy one student version of the practice sentences.

A lot of the grammar is reinforced and goes deeper in the writing portion, Sentence Island and Paragraph Town. I think you'll be missing something by not doing those. OF course, something is better than nothing however. For example, verbals are touched on in Grammar Town but there are 5 sentences each for infinitives, gerunds, and participles as well as an exercise looking at use of verbals in a passage in Paragraph Town.

I think MCT would be fine for him. YOu can keep it short and just do it several times each week. While you read it, have him sit on a yoga ball - that really helps my friend's DD. My son who hates workbooks LOVES MCT.

I have thought about getting MCT for Samuel who is 10 and doing 5th grade work. He is severely ADHD and has sensory processing disorder also. He is currently on medication for his ADHD and it's working great. I am trying to tailor his curriculum to his needs and he doesn't do well with workbooks except for SWO which he loves. Grammar seems to be a subject that he hates and we have struggled with doing R&S, LLATL, ILL, and such. I have investigated MCT and it looks like it would work for him.

For those using MCT what do you think? I would probably only use the grammar, poetry and practice parts of the curriculum. I was thinking the Island series would be a good place to start since he struggles with and hates anything having to do with language arts.

Do I need the student and teacher's for each of those areas? If I do, I might as well buy the whole basic homeschool package. I don't want to order more than I have to.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using MCT with my youngest who has some learning disabilities. I wish so much that this had been available with my oldest ADHD son. It would have been perfect for him. He would have loved all of the humor. He did turn out to be an excellent writer, but I wish there would have been more joy in the early years.