Menu

Sewing your own baby gifts - for a novice

I can't believe I'm even thinking about this, but I'd like to make sew some baby blankets as gifts. I have a nice sewing machine but I don't really sew :o. I figure this can't really be that hard, can it?

I was also wondering how hard it would be to make nursing covers?

Does anybody have any tried and true sites they could share with me where I can get some patterns or ideas from?

I have a good idea on how to sew the baby blankets (I was thinking double sided flannel) but I wasn't sure if I need to do any stitching in the middle of the blankets or if that's more for design purposes?

Yes, I have no idea why I feel like undertaking something like this. I'm just feeling the need to keep busy and learn something new, I guess. :tongue_smilie:

I've done this before and it's pretty easy. I did a double sided flannel blanket(can't remember the exact size but if you google free baby blanket patterns, they come up everywhere) it was just a basic rectangle sewn together and top stitched. The flannel does kindof stick together but you can *quilt* it by just sewing straight lines down every inch/2 inches or so.. I also made matching burp clothes by buying cloth diapers from Walmart and sewing a strip of coordinating fabric in the middle.

Hooded bath towels are my go to gifts for new babies. Everyone loves them, as the baby grows into them and can be used until the towel falls apart! I include a link for a tutorial with pictures. I make mine slightly different, so explore other links and find one you like.

http://www.makeandtakes.com/easy-hooded-bath-towel

I have made many flannel blankets for my grandchildren and as long I am cutting the pieces exactly the same size (layer and cut the fabric at the same time) you should not need to quilt them.

The last grandbaby got crocheted edges on his blankets..Mommy loved them.

I did a very narrow serged edge on mine, but sewing and turning them inside out makes a nicer edge. ( DO not use the sew and turn method if you are going to crochet on them as it makes too thick of an edge to get the needle thru)

Rag quilts are another easy project. Here is a link to a You tube video..I have not watched it....just wanted to give you an idea of what they look like. My 4 yr old grandaughter takes her pink rag quilt everywhere!

Edited by KatieinMich

I like making fabric baby blocks as gifts. Just some squares of cute fabric to sew together and stuffing is all you need. They're super easy and oh so cute. You can add as much or as little detail as you want, too. I can't remember the site I got the idea from, but google should provide you with instructions if you want to look into it.

Making baby a "lovey" is even easier. :)

Just one side of "minky" fabric and one side of flannel, satin, or anything else. And they make them super small - like 15 x 15 for easy carrying around.

Some folk add a loop of ribbon to tiny ones - like 7x7 so they can attach to a pacifier. :)