Menu

Nervous wreck about winter driving

'm an absolute nervous wreck about driving from Charlotte NC through Knoxville and into Louisville. I was supposed to go the 26th but I am thinking I will drive part way tomorrow and get some of the driving behind me. I have an okay car - a Volkswagon, but nothing for 4 wheel drive or anything like that. ACK. I just don 't know what to do. My son just really feels he as a stake in this tournament, and I want to take him.

'm an absolute nervous wreck about driving from Charlotte NC through Knoxville and into Louisville. I was supposed to go the 26th but I am thinking I will drive part way tomorrow and get some of the driving behind me. I have an okay car - a Volkswagon, but nothing for 4 wheel drive or anything like that. ACK. I just don 't know what to do. My son just really feels he as a stake in this tournament, and I want to take him.

One time when I was a kid back home, we had a blizzard and the roads hadn't been cleared yet. Our farm tractor had chains on the tires and still got stuck in a field where my dad was working on the fences. But we saw our neighbors go by in their VW bug. That thing just seemed to ride on top of the snow and could get through any storm. VWs still have a reputation for being good in snow. And like someone else said, the highways will get cleared first, so maybe they won't be too bad.

Knoxville is having flurries (my mom lives around there). You won't come through *my* mountains, persay, but it is coming down here. Not bad today, but tonight it will freeze. We still have a good 3 inches of ice on my driveway from the last snow. Through the mtns in NC - through Asheville down 40 would be my biggest concern. If it is mid-day, not snowing at the moment, then they interstate should be cleared.

Thanks everyone. We did leave Christmas Day but that is not a big deal for us. There is no one in my family that I don't see all the time anyway. It was sort of pathetic to eat fast food and sleep in a Hampton Inn on Christmas night, but we will always remember it.

The roads were not that bad!

Thanks everyone. We did leave Christmas Day but that is not a big deal for us. There is no one in my family that I don't see all the time anyway. It was sort of pathetic to eat fast food and sleep in a Hampton Inn on Christmas night, but we will always remember it.

The roads were not that bad!

I'm glad that it went well.:)