Menu

Question for Dr. Hive... At home treatments for ear infections?

I've been very sick this whole week with the flu or something and last night it started moving into my right ear. Now my ear is throbbing with pain and I can't sleep it hurts so much. Of course it's Sunday now so there's nothing I can do about it until Monday when the doctor's office is open. So do you all have any home remedies or anything that I can do to help alleviate this pain until I can get in to see the doc on Monday?? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. :grouphug:

I keep some medicine that you squeeze drops in the ear... to alleviate the pain. If you know anyone that has chronic ear infections... they might have some, too. Otherwise, it helps a bit to hold a not too hot, but for sure warm.... hair dryer... I know that some swear by olive oil with garlic something.... Sorry... it sucks!! On the good side, it goes away really fast with antibiotics... :)

This will sound crazy, but I have done it when in your situation. Cut a brown onion in half like the equator. Bake it till it is soft. Let cool a bit, and when you can tolerate it, place the cut side over your sore ear. You can put a thin dishtowel between the onion and your ear. keep it there till you fall asleep or feel better.:grouphug:

You might also try decongestants like Mucinex or Tussin (guaiafenisen syrup) since the pain could be due to pressure on the ear drum.

I am pretty congested still. I've been taking decongestants all week, but this cold, flu, virus, whatever is really tenacious and the meds don't seem to make a dent in the symptoms. My whole head feels like a balloon.

Heat will soothe the pain. Hot water bottle, heating pad, or even the hot rice in a sock will work. With an ear infection you run the risk of a ruptured eardrum. When the ear drum ruptures the pain goes away but so does your hearing for a good long while. If your eardrum does rupture a Dr. may or may not prescribe meds. With time, the ear drum will heal on its own. Obviously, if the blocked fluid that drains from the rupture is bloody a visit to the Dr. is wise.

Sorry:grouphug:. Ear aches are painful to the point of crying.

Heat will soothe the pain. Hot water bottle, heating pad, or even the hot rice in a sock will work. With an ear infection you run the risk of a ruptured eardrum. When the ear drum ruptures the pain goes away but so does your hearing for a good long while. If your eardrum does rupture a Dr. may or may not prescribe meds. With time, the ear drum will heal on its own. Obviously, if the blocked fluid that drains from the rupture is bloody a visit to the Dr. is wise.

Sorry:grouphug:. Ear aches are painful to the point of crying.

Thank you. I just need to hold out til Monday then I can get in to see the doc. I think I have a heating pad somewhere. :)

If you don't have anything else, warmth on the ear and pain killers can do the trick for a while. Warmth can be a rice bag, a hot water bottle, or a heating pad, depending on what you have. I always like to lay on the side that is painful; somehow that helps cut down on the pain. Advil if there's swelling (and I usually assume that there's swelling in there).

Also, hot tea can be relieving, especially since it approaches the problem from the inside as you swallow it :). Something soothing is always nice, or you can go the herbal-medicinal route and steep garlic, add cayenne and lemon, with honey to taste :tongue_smilie:.

Good luck! I hate ear aches, and I feel for you.

If you don't have anything else, warmth on the ear and pain killers can do the trick for a while. Warmth can be a rice bag, a hot water bottle, or a heating pad, depending on what you have. I always like to lay on the side that is painful; somehow that helps cut down on the pain. Advil if there's swelling (and I usually assume that there's swelling in there).

Also, hot tea can be relieving, especially since it approaches the problem from the inside as you swallow it :). Something soothing is always nice, or you can go the herbal-medicinal route and steep garlic, add cayenne and lemon, with honey to taste :tongue_smilie:.

Good luck! I hate ear aches, and I feel for you.

Thanks so much hon. I'm going to use a heating pad and see if I can get some sleep.

Here is information about it. http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php Most drug stores carry their products. It isn't fun to squirt your nose but it isn't the worst thing either. I've found that it helps if you have a cold, allergies or a sinus problem.

Thanks Jean. :)

Goldenseal or echinacea(sp?) taken in liberal doses will cure it. I did this years ago when we first got married and had no insurance.

Oh I have this. Thanks. :)