Menu

Suggestions for not-to-miss places in S. California

We'll be spending the first two weeks of January in South-Central California. We'll be coming from the north on Highway 15, meandering around at whim the first week, and ending up for the 2nd week near San Luis Obispo. Any great suggestions where to go? We're on a budget, and don't really enjoy big "attractions." We do like camping, hiking, beach combing, museums (especially small quirky free ones). Our kids are all girls, 5-16. Even the smallest is good for a 2-3 mile hike.

We're used to cold. If it's 40 degrees out, we'll probably be wearing shorts and t-shirts.

TIA!

In Avila there's the Bob Jones Trail-Unofficial Start of the Trail - A parking area is available at the trail head.

Exit US101 at Avila Beach and head west. Turn right on Ontario Rd (Avila Hot Springs). Go past the KOA campground and you will see a parking lot off to the right. The trail starts right across the street. Lock up your valuables.

Unofficial End of the Trail – Parking in downtown Avila.

Use these directions to get into Avila. The trail unofficially ends on the corner of Front St & San Miguel (The beach and Promande) The official trail end is just down San Miguel St and the cross walk on Avila Beach Dr. Make sure you push the button and watch out for cars as Avila Beach Dr is a major road and has a blind corner for traffic.

This is really pretty and you can check out Avila-a quirky little beach town. My FIL pastors a church there.

In SLO, I would check out the Mission. I LOVED going there as a kid. They have a gift shop and then a museum (all donations). Right next store to the mission is another museum lots of pictures and info about life in SLO from it's beginnings. The mission is in downtown SLO, lots of little shops and they have a great farmers market on Thursday nights.

Also Madonna Mountain is a fun hike, easy enough for kids, great views. If you wanted you could also check out Madonna Inn very interesting. Don't forget to check out the men's bathroom:tongue_smilie:.

Born and raised there, let me know if you have any other questions. I will try to think of more places and come back.

yes, Solvang, is neat, there is also a waterfall (small) to hike to, an ostrich farm (tho you have to pay to visit now) and a really cute miniature horse farm nearby. There is a visitor center and they will give you maps.

When we have visitors, I like to take them to Laguna Beach to walk around, lots of shops, lots of art museums and places to eat, the beach is pretty too.

In Avila there's the Bob Jones Trail-Unofficial Start of the Trail - A parking area is available at the trail head.

Exit US101 at Avila Beach and head west. Turn right on Ontario Rd (Avila Hot Springs). Go past the KOA campground and you will see a parking lot off to the right. The trail starts right across the street. Lock up your valuables.

Unofficial End of the Trail – Parking in downtown Avila.

Use these directions to get into Avila. The trail unofficially ends on the corner of Front St & San Miguel (The beach and Promande) The official trail end is just down San Miguel St and the cross walk on Avila Beach Dr. Make sure you push the button and watch out for cars as Avila Beach Dr is a major road and has a blind corner for traffic.

This is really pretty and you can check out Avila-a quirky little beach town. My FIL pastors a church there.

In SLO, I would check out the Mission. I LOVED going there as a kid. They have a gift shop and then a museum (all donations). Right next store to the mission is another museum lots of pictures and info about life in SLO from it's beginnings. The mission is in downtown SLO, lots of little shops and they have a great farmers market on Thursday nights.

Also Madonna Mountain is a fun hike, easy enough for kids, great views. If you wanted you could also check out Madonna Inn very interesting. Don't forget to check out the men's bathroom:tongue_smilie:.

Born and raised there, let me know if you have any other questions. I will try to think of more places and come back.

:iagree:with everything. San Luis Obispo is wonderful. The mission in Santa Barbara is beautiful(and free). My kids liked that one a lot. And while you are there, go to the pier. Great little shops, taffy, and the most breathtaking views!!

FYI. The Madonna Inn is $$$. We order sandwiches and split them. But you can tour the men's bathroom without ordering food(or at least you could a few years ago).

Jennifer

If you want ONE attraction (aw come on, have to do ONE! lol) then I recommend the Warner Brothers Studio Tour. It was really fun, and you get to see lots of areas--the backlots where tons of stuff was filmed, the different "streets," and a sound stage, and a costume area, and...well, it was about 2 hours, as I recall, and we had a really good time.

Corona Del Mar has a nice beach, and there's a small beach with tidal pools next to it. We stayed there.

Laguna is beautiful.

If you want weird and quirky, you could try Venice Beach, but I'd honestly stay away with kids--it's kinda gross, with head shops (oops, I mean "medical marijuana" places) all in a row with Tee shirt places and such.

The little town where the swallows used to come--San Capistrano--is supposed to be fun to walk around.

Oh--right near Corona Del Mar is Balboa Island--There ya go--great place to eat and walk, very pretty. Make sure you buy albalone shells all polished up from the man on the bench near the shore! lol

There's the tide pools and museum at Cabrillo Beach- you'd just have to pay parking, and there are beaches to walk, tide pools to hunt for, and lots of grass for picnicing, and a free museum too.

There is also Exposition Park in LA, they have a free hands on Science Museum (California Science Center), Free Air & Space Museum, and a rose garden. In the same area is also the Natural History Museum and the African American Museum too.

Also in LA is the Getty Museum- lots of Art, architecture, gardens, etc. It is free also. They also have a Getty Villa in Malibu.

If you like space the Griffith Observatory is free too. And Griffith Park, and the train museum- Travel Town (free too) up there are so much fun!

Have a fun trip!

La Brea Tar Pits and Museum - it is next to the LA Country Art Museum. Plus the Huntington in Pasadena. And call/write ahead and get a parking pass for the Getty in Malibu (you have to either come by bus or get a parking pass in advance) - it is so worth it!!! If you also do the Getty that is more inland, take sun glasses - all the white marble is blinding on a sunny day. Oh, and I always loved Will Rogers home and state park!!!

we love to camp. our favourites in the winter include Death Valley and Joshu a tree. in death valley, you could spend a week. there is scotty's castle to visit, ubehebe crater to go down (and back up), sand dunes to play on, racetrack playa and lots of opportunities to hike from there. campgrounds range from full service, to dry camping just past racetrack playa. winter camping at camp 4 in yosemite valley is great if you have a tent (you don't need reservations, but there is likely to be snow, so only go if you have good gear). joshua tree is much warmer, and has boulders for bouldering.

ano nuevo is fabulous

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=523

and big basin redwoods state park is near by