Menu

Math refresher course: ALEKS?

My dd is very interested in engineering. She is a junior and completed precal last yr and this yr is taking AP Stats.

Next yr I want her to take Calculus so she will be familiar with it before college. I also want her to have a very strong algebra foundation.

Her math scores on the ACT are reputable: 30, but I'm thinking maybe you can't get enough math practice.

I'm thinking something like ALEKS would be a good refresher before Calculus.

For you mathy moms, does it seem like a good idea to take a refresher since she's had a yr of Stats instead of regular math? If so, is there a better course than ALEKS?

Thanks Jann, I wonder what would be better prep for Calculus...basic algebra, precal or trig review.

I'm not Jann... but the real issue is typically algebra. Even for students who have completed a calculus course. You won't need all the trigonometry identities again - a fundamental understanding of the properties of sine and cosine is what's really important - but you need an absolutely rock solid knowledge of algebra. That will also matter in college, much more than calculus.

(I teach introductory physics for engineering, science and pre-med students... the biggest obstacle to success is lack of algebra skills.)

I'm not Jann... but the real issue is typically algebra. Even for students who have completed a calculus course. You won't need all the trigonometry identities again - a fundamental understanding of the properties of sine and cosine is what's really important - but you need an absolutely rock solid knowledge of algebra. That will also matter in college, much more than calculus.

(I teach introductory physics for engineering, science and pre-med students... the biggest obstacle to success is lack of algebra skills.)

OT, but thank you for pointing this out. It affirms my commitment to take it slowly with my youngest. This is probably why veteran moms like 8Fillthe heart recommend using two different algebra programs one after the other. I have seen how the lack of algebra skills plays out with my oldest and it is not pretty.