Menu

Total long shot - anyone familiar with the Gifted Development Center in Denver?

Do you have to suspect true giftedness ahead of time in order to get help there? What if you just don't really know, but you know there are some glitches...would they still see the child?

I was gifted growing up, so my kids don't seem gifted to me, but maybe that's because I'm comparing them to myself, ya know? They have definite strengths and most DEFINITE weaknesses academically (if they were gifted they'd be considered twice exceptional, for sure), but I don't know if their strengths are in the "gifted" category.

Do they do anything with non-gifted students?

I don't think you have to 'prove' anything in order to get tested. I do think they tend to see more highly or profoundly gifted children - or at least that was the case nine years ago. They are also on the look out for twice exceptional children (gifted/learning disabled) and the director, Linda Silverman, has studied visual-spatial children.

Laura

I don't think you have to 'prove' anything in order to get tested. I do think they tend to see more highly or profoundly gifted children - or at least that was the case nine years ago. They are also on the look out for twice exceptional children (gifted/learning disabled) and the director, Linda Silverman, has studied visual-spatial children.

Laura

Thanks! I have one that I think just might be a visual-spatial child with other glitches. I have another that might be gifted but might also have some glitches. I have another that is just glitchy in general.

Would I be able to call and kind of talk things through with them first? Or would that be something I'd have to pay for?

Thanks! I have one that I think just might be a visual-spatial child with other glitches. I have another that might be gifted but might also have some glitches. I have another that is just glitchy in general.

Would I be able to call and kind of talk things through with them first? Or would that be something I'd have to pay for?

I seem to remember that I talked to them for quite a bit about whether to test and what tests made sense. They are good at glitches connected to giftedness, but I don't know if they are the right people to go to for general glitchiness. Perhaps a more general educational psychologist? Anyway, I'd talk to them on the phone about what you want to achieve and see what they say.

Laura

http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/What_is_Gifted/2echildren.htm Did you see this article on their site? It looks like they have one person who handles the 2E. I'm confused though because it says Helen and I can't find a Helen on their speaker list. Oh well, no matter. Since this Helen is only recently certified, I'm not sure she'd be THAT much better than another local to you person who has been doing 2E longer. It's not like EVERYONE flies to Colorado, lol. Your local neuropsych probably sees some. Would this place be better? Does it really matter to you if the diagnosis is the same? I certainly wouldn't pay more to get it, not if a local place can get you to the same place.

Yes, if it were close to me, I'd take my dd there. :) However I've had no trouble getting affirmation or help locally. The practitioners I've worked with so far were experienced enough that things were obvious to them and not confusing. When I told the VT doc she had a reading problem despite her high reading level, the doc totally took me at my word and found the problem. They can tell the kid is gifted. It's not rocket science. Actually, I've been told my dd is smarter than me, which is really interesting to me. And did you notice in this article on strongly they mentioned VT? You'd hate to pay for an evaluation only to be told to do the thing you already know you need, kwim? That's why I'm waiting. I want to do everything *I* know how to do, then go get an evaluation. That way I know what's left, what's immoveable you might say, and where I have to start modifying.