Menu

Meeting with son's teachers today...

BMW

My son was retained for 3rd grade by my choice. The court had ordered public schooling... period... during the divorce of 2007. My son had a huge difficultly learning to read. He has spent 4 years now with familiar peers and is in 6th grade. He wants to skip 7th and be in the 8th grade. Our meeting today was to discuss this.

The teachers say he is top of the class. Respectful. Smiling and happy. Attentive with good grades. "Good job, mom!" But, if he were to skip 7th, he would miss out on a lot of teaching and preparation and go into 8th grade and struggle. They do not recommend this.

I am so glad to have met with them. I know my son is a great student. I know he is familiar with his peers... I think I agree with the teachers. He has friends and others look up to him. He is at the top. He IS being challenged. He studies daily (Mon -Thurs, anyway!). So, why change it up?

What do you think?

The teachers say he is top of the class. Respectful. Smiling and happy. Attentive with good grades. "Good job, mom!" But, if he were to skip 7th, he would miss out on a lot of teaching and preparation and go into 8th grade and struggle. They do not recommend this.

I am so glad to have met with them. I know my son is a great student. I know he is familiar with his peers... I think I agree with the teachers. He has friends and others look up to him. He is at the top. He IS being challenged. He studies daily (Mon -Thurs, anyway!). So, why change it up?

What do you think?

:iagree: If it ain't broke, why fix it? ;)

I agree with the previous posters. I switched schools between seventh and eighth grade, and because of differences between the two schools, I ended up missing several classes. It wasn't pretty- I was completely unprepared and didn't do great. It wasn't that I wasn't smart- I just didn't have the necessary knowledge, and I certainly didn't have time to learn what I should have been learning in seventh grade while I was doing eighth.

Thanks. My gut feeling is to support the teachers and agree with them. Part of me had wanted to side with my son, who has INCREDIBLE study skills, and say that if he has the desire, why not give him the opportunity? But, then I listened (with an open mind) to the teachers and knew that they had my son pin pointed and were correct... he is excelling... he is secure... he is solid and doing fabulous, but he isn't the top... he is one of the top... he isn't heads and shoulders above... and no one in his class looks at him and thinks, "Oh, my gosh, he is 6 months older than we are!! He must not be as good!" No one. He is well liked. SO, I think he should stay put.

Now, to have the talk with my son....