Menu

A Poll: If you read romance novels...

Why do you read romance novels?  

1. 1. Why do you read romance novels?

• To relax - they calm my mind.
    • To escape - my life is nothing like a romance novel.
    • To put me in the mood for teA - ah, the passion!
    • I just love the stories!
    • Other - I'll explain below.

Ah yes. We call this "medjeeval." Note that movies get special mention ;)

"Umm... No." is about right :tongue_smilie:

Though it's fun to watch this sort of stuff with crazy SCA friends (the types who have built their own floor looms) and laugh while they point out actors using 16th century fighting techniques while wearing 14th century armour, in a 12th century setting or something fun like that.

Rosie

"Medjeeval"-- I love it! :D Learn something new every day ;)

"Umm... No." is about right :tongue_smilie:

Though it's fun to watch this sort of stuff with crazy SCA friends (the types who have built their own floor looms) and laugh while they point out actors using 16th century fighting techniques while wearing 14th century armour, in a 12th century setting or something fun like that.

Rosie

I am not sure A Kinght's Tale was really trying seeing how it included peasants singing Queen. :lol:

I don't know...I am growing increasingly dubious of the SCA's own dedication to accuracy. Whenever we go to Renfest it is often a mess of emo-goth-whore-fairies and emo-goth-whore-elaborate-Elizabethan costumes with blue hair. I know some of those people work there as performers.

I like Johanna Lindsey. The characters are heavily flawed, they don't all look the same (except for the guys always being muscly), they are amusing, she uses SOME old phrases, but not so many that it's distracting or trying to hard, they contain useful and usually accurate historic details. The scenes are passionate, but not USUALLY too...err...specific(?) in their details.

I liked this line (from a link on that page):

In defense of the Tuchux, they throw excellent parties

I want that in my obituary. :lol:

I am not sure A Kinght's Tale was really trying seeing how it included peasants singing Queen. :lol:

I don't know...I am growing increasingly dubious of the SCA's own dedication to accuracy. Whenever we go to Renfest it is often a mess of emo-goth-whore-fairies and emo-goth-whore-elaborate-Elizabethan costumes with blue hair. I know some of those people work there as performers.

I agree on both counts.

Now I certainly won't watch it. :lol:

SCA and Renfaires are different, though there may be cross overs in the population. The "C" in SCA stands for "Creative" which is both it's greatest strength and greatest weakness. It all depends on what you're looking for, I guess. There's a zillion and one re-enactment groups out there of varying standards of authenticity, so there's something for everyone, but the SCA is the largest so they clearly have something going for them. I don't know about the US, but we don't have emo-goth-whore-anythings here. :001_huh: And fairies are not allowed. They belong at LARP :) SCA's rule is "an attempt at pre-17th century garb" and some people's attempts are better than others ;) Except for the occasional rude person, everyone is fine with that.

Dh plays SCA, but LARP is his first love :)

Hang on, that got off topic. Can I bring it back? Uh, I know lots of people who found romance through the SCA and LARP. I don't know if they wrote novels about it though :001_huh::lol:

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

There's a zillion and one re-enactment groups out there of varying standards of authenticity, so there's something for everyone, but the SCA is the largest so they clearly have something going for them. I don't know about the US, but we don't have emo-goth-whore-anythings here. :001_huh: And fairies are not allowed. They belong at LARP :)

Rosie, oh, I know. I've known LOTS of SCA/LARP people. :D

As far as what Sis is talking about? It's stuff like this:

http://undeadlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/DSC_0133.jpg

and this:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_DkAsBfe64Tg/SGlwrxae0yI/AAAAAAAACyE/Zxfygfop2J8/IMG_3784.jpg

Sometimes they are sort of combined.

Now I certainly won't watch it. :lol:

It is a pretty good movie, but not accurate. There are deliberate inaccuracies. It isn't "oops we messed something up," it is "we mixed Medieval and modern aspects into a cultural collage" If that makes sense at all.

SCA and Renfaires are different, though there may be cross overs in the population. The "C" in SCA stands for "Creative" which is both it's greatest strength and greatest weakness. It all depends on what you're looking for, I guess. There's a zillion and one re-enactment groups out there of varying standards of authenticity, so there's something for everyone, but the SCA is the largest so they clearly have something going for them. I don't know about the US, but we don't have emo-goth-whore-anythings here. :001_huh: And fairies are not allowed. They belong at LARP :)

Dh plays SCA, but LARP is his first love :)

Hang on, that got off topic. Can I bring it back? Uh, I know lots of people who found romance through the SCA and LARP. I don't know if they wrote novels about it though :001_huh::lol:

Rosie

My local SCA is a part of our Renfest. I used to LARP and hang out with SCA types but not really much since my kids were born.

Er..sorry we can get back on topic now. :lol:

Edited by Sis

This is one of my favourite romance novels: http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Spells-Sarah-Addison-Allen/dp/0553805487 and I'm afraid to confess Marion Zimmer Bradley's version of the story of Troy is my other favourite. If it helps, I don't like any of her other books.

:)

Rosie

Isn't she *wonderful*? If you liked Garden Spells, try Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman. Also, SAA's THE SUGAR QUEEN is awesome and she has another out-THE GIRL WHO CHASED THE MOON and one coming-something about peaches.

Fun magic realism. Love it.

People wear that to SCA? I'm gobbsmacked. They'd be politely asked to come and change into some loaner gear, over here. :001_huh: The fairy outfit looks cool, but the other just looks like a high school kid. Is it a costume? :lol:

Thanks for the recs, Justamouse :) Nothing like a bit of cuteness :)

People wear that to SCA? I'm gobbsmacked. They'd be politely asked to come and change into some loaner gear, over here. :001_huh: The fairy outfit looks cool, but the other just looks like a high school kid. Is it a costume? :lol:

Imagine the first costume with some black wings. I've never seen someone dressed like that at a standalone SCA event, but as a worker/volunteer at RenFaire, yes.

Got very busy - fun to come back to so many answers!

TeA, for the one lovely lady who asked, = "relations of the marital kind" on this chat board.

If you like romantic comedy, I suggest checking out Head Over Heels, by Cindy Procter-King. It's out in ebook and I think print? right now. We're publishing the audio book on Valentine's Day 2011. I edited the audio and it's such a fun story. The narrator also was the narrator for The Secret Life of Bees and she sounds great. I have no idea why this book wasn't picked up by one of the bigger mainstream presses, but I'm glad I got a hold of it for audio.

The thing that drives me a little batty about many of the Amish romance novels is one author, at least, has a conversion story in every novel - Amish people converting to evangelical Christianity. I keep wondering why she's writing about them if she dislikes their theology so much!

For someone else who was asking, there is a romance category for everything under the sun. In the course of my job, I have heard/read everything you can imagine. I have come to really enjoy hanging around women who write romance, mostly because they have such great senses of humor.

I like historicals, but right now I'm really into humorous contemporary ones.