Menu

Prayers please, ds 18 in taking the last test to go into the Army

I'm sure the test is over, but I'm praying it went well for your son. Tell him thank you for his willingness to sacrifice and I'm praying for you, Mary. I know it's a hard row for the moms as well. Praying for your peace of mind and courage while he starts this adventure. God bless you all!

If you don't mind my asking, I would be interested to know why an 18yo would want to join the army. No one in my family or circle of friends is military, so I really don't understand the thought process for this type of decision....

I can't speak for the OPer's son. However, my husband attended a military boarding school for high school and his first two years of college with the intent of becoming a military officer. He was commissioned with his AA and then was a 2LT in the National Guard while finishing his 4 year degree. He had a desire to serve and protect his country. He's been active duty for over 14 years now. Why wouldn't a young person desire to serve in the military as opposed to becoming a police officer, a pilot, a doctor or anything else?

Good luck to your son, Mary.

• 2 weeks later...

now we have to wait until November. The Recruiter said that they aren't taking Homeschool students right now, so he is going to school part time to complete a couple of subjects to get his High school diploma. Pleas pray that they take homeschool students soon.

TIA!!!!

Mary

now we have to wait until November. The Recruiter said that they aren't taking Homeschool students right now, so he is going to school part time to complete a couple of subjects to get his High school diploma. Pleas pray that they take homeschool students soon.

TIA!!!!

Mary

I don't get this at all, did they say anything else?

If you don't mind my asking, I would be interested to know why an 18yo would want to join the army. No one in my family or circle of friends is military, so I really don't understand the thought process for this type of decision....

I hope I'm reading way more into that statement than was intended.

I think it takes an extrodinary person to make the choice to make your living by knowingly putting yourself in danger to support your country. Even if you go into it for the education money, the security as far as the benefits, whatever *perks* there may be, the brass tacks of the matter is that this individual is choosing to serve his country. I think for some people it is a calling, for a lack of a better word. My dh didn't join til he was 28, but it was something he always wanted to do. He has a fabulous civilian job, but it doesn't have a purpose, except making money for the company. His National Guard job has a purpose and a meaning in what he does. How well he does his job will have a real impact as opposed to just being an indicator of whether he gets a 3% or 4% pay raise this year.

I am a little sensitive to that "why in the world would anyone choose that" question. It isn't always the *logical* choice, but thank the Lord that people do choose to do it.

I hope I'm reading way more into that statement than was intended.

I think it takes an extrodinary person to make the choice to make your living by knowingly putting yourself in danger to support your country. Even if you go into it for the education money, the security as far as the benefits, whatever *perks* there may be, the brass tacks of the matter is that this individual is choosing to serve his country. I think for some people it is a calling, for a lack of a better word. My dh didn't join til he was 28, but it was something he always wanted to do. He has a fabulous civilian job, but it doesn't have a purpose, except making money for the company. His National Guard job has a purpose and a meaning in what he does. How well he does his job will have a real impact as opposed to just being an indicator of whether he gets a 3% or 4% pay raise this year.

I am a little sensitive to that "why in the world would anyone choose that" question. It isn't always the *logical* choice, but thank the Lord that people do choose to do it.

I can't speak for the person you are quoting but it didn't sound like she was saying "why in the world would anyone choose that" it sounded more like she was genuinely curious as to why someone would choose that path and I think there were some great answers in the thread!

Also, I would question my own 18 year old who wanted to join the military because from the few soldiers that I know, they said they would never, ever join without going to college first or doing ROTC in college and joining as a Commissioned Officer. While not an option for everyone, I think this nation's military colleges are wonderful (and free!) :)

EDIT: Congratulations and good luck to the young man who passed his physical and will join in the autumn! I'm sure its not easy to make that commitment and yet he sounds determined and I hope his future with the Army is bright.