Menu

question on Magic Tree House research Guides

What reading level are these written in? Would a child who is able to read the book, be able to read and understand the research guide??

I believe the books are abou 1-3 grade reading level and would put the later books and the research guides at the upper end of that spectrum. If they are reading the books fairly easily they can probably manage the research guides.

The research guides are written at a 4th grade level and the books are usually at about a 2nd grade level. However, the 2nd grade level of the books is artificially low because reading level algorithms take into account sentence length and there are tons of artificially shortened sentences in the books that aren't present in the research guides. I once use the Lexile analyzer (a reading level algorithm) and input a chapter as written and then changed it so that the sentences were of normal length (using the same words, just changing the punctuation around). The reading level went up by two grade levels.

The research guides are written at a 4th grade level and the books are usually at about a 2nd grade level. However, the 2nd grade level of the books is artificially low because reading level algorithms take into account sentence length and there are tons of artificially shortened sentences in the books that aren't present in the research guides. I once use the Lexile analyzer (a reading level algorithm) and input a chapter as written and then changed it so that the sentences were of normal length (using the same words, just changing the punctuation around). The reading level went up by two grade levels.

That explains a whole bunch. Thanks!