Menu

what to do after OPGTR?

even_star

DS 7 is in 1st grade and we just finished OPGTR last week. He's able to decode just about any word but we definitely still need to work on his fluency. What suggestions do you have for phonics practice now that we've finished OPGTR?

Some ideas I've come up with are:

1. just keep checking easy readers out of the library to build fluency and move the level up as we go,

2. do the above but add in some ETC workbooks. We've already worked through level 4 so I'd be starting with 5.

3. Buy one of McGuffey's Eclectic Readers and have him read from that 20 or so min/day

I'd love to hear what others have done.

Thanks!

We finished OPGTR and needed to practice fluency and confidence. DD1 could read- but didn't think she could do big words.

We read a lot of easy readers to work on boosting her reading self-esteem, and for fluency we read out loud together. I picked books from Sonlight's 2nd list. I'd read a page, she'd read a page, ect, and any word she wasn't sure about I just helped her. The idea was to just move away from a phonics program into books, not be perfect.

It took a few months, but then she really took off. Now she can read anything she wants, usually without needing help.

Adding spelling in helped, as well.

:bigear:

My oldest is just finishing up her last lessons of OPG this week. She also needs to build fluency and skill in breaking down longer, less familiar words.

The most helpful exercise I've found so far has been to do "Guided Reading Practice." This means that she reads a passage I've selected (see below), for about 10-15 minutes, about four times per week. I listen and read along, correcting as we go. This has been very helpful for my student.

We've been taking passages from her chapter books (that we have read aloud together), the What Your _____ Grader Needs to Know series, Classic Bible Stories, The Classic Treasury of Animal Stories, and other anthologies and children's books.

I can't remember where I read about doing this, but it seems to work -- the child reads aloud a selected passage while an attentive adult actively listens and gently corrects.

One other thing I've read about building fluency is to have the child read aloud the same passage, perhaps two or three times over the course of a week AND to intersperse this with modeling (i.e., the parent reads the passage aloud first, then the child reads, then the parent read, child reads, etc.). This helps the child to learn expression, instead of "reading like a robot." HTH.

I'm looking forward to hearing what others have done after OPG!

We did not use OPGTR, but used HOP instead. We started Sonlight reading after that. We were ready for level 2 regular readers (We did skip some of the bible reading, only because she wanted to read other books.) We are finishing the intermediate readers now. We finished ETC through book 7. I agree that spelling is a big help. We use AAS.

hth

When we finished OPGTR, I just started checking out books for my son to read. He really loved all the Frog and Toad books, and his very favorite are the Mr. Putter and Tabby books. Just start checking any kids books out, though, because any child who has finished OPG should be a very capable reader.

I think moving on to spelling is also good. Learning all the spelling rules will help to reinforce/remind of all the phonics rules just learned.

• 4 weeks later...

We are just about done with my son. We have been working on fluency the whole time. I have the Sonlight readers from K - 2nd Reg. I have all the HOP books from K - 2nd. We have read them through twice before moving on to the next level. He is finishing up 2nd now. So we will just continue reading.

I think I will let All About Spelling be the review for phonics, as it works on spelling. Or I will do MCP Spelling Workout.