Menu

Planning a trip to Boston

I'm taking my 2 homeschooled children to Boston for an educational field trip. I wasn't planning on having a car. We'll fly into Logan airport and take a shuttle to the hotel- we are thinking Marriott Courtyard Copley Square w/ points. I want to see most of the sites around Boston. I grew up in western Mass, so we went frequently, but some of what we did is far from Boston w/out a car.

1. Would you try to include?:

*Lexington and Concord? (I want to show them Louisa May Alcott's and Hawthorne's House and Walden Pond)

*Boat tour? Would one of Boston Harbor be enough? Or the Charles River? I didn't realize the Cape was 1 hr away. I would love to do a boat tour to Martha's Vinyard and Nantucket,but I think that is for another trip...)

*Over to Cambridge? to tour Harvard and walk through the Sackler Museum

*I would love to take the subway over to Watertown bc my Armenian heritage is there, but no family that I'm close to- just lots of distant relatives. I could take them to Sevan Bakery to sample some of my childhood memories that I don't know how to make. This might take too much time, I'm not sure bc guidebooks don't include Watertown excursions!

In Boston we will walk through the Freedom trail, museums, etc. We're planning the trip around tickets for 1 ballgame at Fenway, my son is a HUGE Red Sox fan, I was too growing up.

2. Do you think an Old Town Trolley Tour would be beneficial? We used it DC, but what we want to see in Boston is pretty compact and we'll use the subway to Fenway, Cambridge, and a couple museums farther way.

3. How many nights would you stay if we flew in super early the first day- 2 or 3?

4. Can you recommend any places to eat?- budget and family friendly Boston landmarks?

Thanks for helping!

1. Would you try to include?:

I would definitely include everything at Lexington and Concord

Louisa May Alcott's, Emerson, Hawthorne's House and Walden Pond, North Bridge and the Battle Green are a must. Bunker Hill and the entire freedom trail.

*Boat tour? Depends when you come- You can catch these near the Wharf by the Aquarium.

Would one of Boston Harbor be enough? That is personal! I tend to max things out.

Or the Charles River? Kayak on the Charles, you can rent for an hour there are several sites on line. I would rent in Cambridge near MIT for the best photos.

I didn't realize the Cape was 1 hr away. I would love to do a boat tour to Martha's Vinyard and Nantucket,but I think that is for another trip...)

This is a whole other trip and can be outrageously expensive. You would near a car to get to the cape and the ferry to the island.

*Over to Cambridge? to tour Harvard and walk through the Sackler Museum

*I would love to take the subway over to Watertown bc my Armenian heritage is there, but no family that I'm close to- just lots of distant relatives. I could take them to Sevan Bakery to sample some of my childhood memories that I don't know how to make. This might take too much time, I'm not sure bc guidebooks don't include Watertown excursions!

You can talk a subway to Cambridge- Students offer tours right in Harvard Square.

In Boston we will walk through the Freedom trail, museums, etc. We're planning the trip around tickets for 1 ballgame at Fenway, my son is a HUGE Red Sox fan, I was too growing up.

You can walk to Fenway from your Marriott. We park there all of the time for the games and it is about 10 minutes. Set up the Fenway tour online for your son

2. Do you think an Old Town Trolley Tour would be beneficial? We used it DC, but what we want to see in Boston is pretty compact and we'll use the subway to Fenway, Cambridge, and a couple museums farther way.

The old Town Tour would be fine, but many of them don't run in the winter months so double check before you come. The tours include Lexington and Concord too. I am not sure how you were planning on getting out there without a car.

3. How many nights would you stay if we flew in super early the first day- 2 or 3?

Definitely 3 if you want to see it right.

You might want to include Salem and could do that on a day tour- super great for homeschooling and brings totally light to the Witch Trials plus the early settlers. I would also think about a day trip to Plymouth Plantation if you are interested in the colonial period.

4. Can you recommend any places to eat?- budget and family friendly Boston landmarks?

Plenty everywhere- Cheers has terrible food but worth a stop for fun!

PS Feel free to contact me-I would love to meet other homeschoolers and meet up with you!

We stayed in September at a hotel right beside Fenway and used the trolleys to get around the Freedom Trail. They also travel over to Cambridge and Harvard. When I go back, I will look for a trolley system or bus system that runs in both directions around the loop, rather than the tourist trolleys which only run in one direction.

We were told by the trolley drivers that we could catch trains to go out to Salem and Plymouth, but we didn't have time on that trip. I will definitely do this when we go again. Getting around was very easy (save for the one-way tourist trolleys, LOL)....

Legal Seafood is terrific and has many locations. No Name Seafood down on the docks. Summer Shack was right beside our hotel, so about a block from Fenway and it was good, too. I didn't get to eat in China Town, but my older son's roommate at college says they have terrific food everywhere there (he's from Worchester and regularly traveled to Boston to eat, etc.) The food in the Little Italy section was good, too (up around Old North Church). And don't miss a cannoli at Mike's Bakery! There are pizza places all around Faneuil Hall Marketplace that are good, too.

Actually, there was very good Indian food in the food court at the Prudential Mall. I think Summer Shack was cheaper than Legal.

Most of the stuff along Freedom Trail is free.

My hotel recommendation is the Brookline Marriot Courtyard. It's on Webster St/Coolidge Corner in Brookline. It's right on the Beacon St Green T line, which is above ground in that area. There are loads of fun shops and places to eat in Coolidge Corner, including bagel shops, book stores, music shops, well-priced resturants (as well as $$ ones), an historic movie theater, plus a Trader Joe's. ;)

The Hyatt Regency near Harvard Square is another option. It's a great area for wandering, and it's on the Charles River. (Harvard Sq has become very gentrified, shop-wise, which is why I prefer Coolidge Corner, which is very much an area for locals... although you can't go wrong in either area).

In Boston, I think I would stay smack dab in the middle of Back Bay at Copely Square Hotel. Copely Place is a big upscale shopping center, with places to eat, as well as a nice Williams-Sonoma shop. ;) It's very festive there, any time of year. (Whereas Brookline Marriot is very quiet.) From here you can fan out, and it's not far to anything of importance. You could walk to the Boston side of the Charles, to Fanuiel Hall/ Quincy Market (depending on stamina), and to The Publc Garden to check out the Make Way for Ducklings sculpture, and ride the Swan Boats. You'll be right near Newbury St too, which is famous in a trendy, super -$ shopping & oudoor- cafe - sort-of-way.

I've stayed at all of these places a number of times and I always feel a part of the city. Pricewise, it's hard to say, since so many hotels offer deals. I would say Copely Place would be consistently more costly, but it's a bit more upscale, which might be fun for the kids. There are lots of families in all 3 hotels. The view is great from any of them.

Edited by LibraryLover

Mike's Pastries (300 Hanover Street...in the North End...near Paul Revere's House and Old North Church) Cannolis are terrific!

We went to a church service on Sunday morning at the Old North Church (my boys actually chose to do it!) It was a great place to worship.

Any food in the North End is good...we ate at a couple of Italian restaurants (can't remember their names) and both were excellent.

Lexington and Concord are fun...don't forget Minute Man National Battlefield (or whatever the name is...you need to go to the bridge where "the shot heard round the world" was fired.

We all LOVED our trip to Boston...so much to do...so little time!

One of our "favorites" was John Adams National Park...it's in Quincy/Braintree area...EXCELLENT if you have the time and ability to get there!

Have fun!

Thanks for the tips. I bookmarked the Lexington/Concord Liberty Trolley webpage. It says that transit goes out there- I think subway to Cambridge, then transfer to a bus or commuter train. Do you think that excursion is worthy of a whole day? So, 4 days/3 nights?

I don't think we'll go to Plymouth- I remember the rock being a huge letdown bc of the sign stating it might not be "the one". I'm not sure the costumed reinterpretaion is what I want this trip. I loved Sturbridge Village as a child though, but it is too far to fit in this time too.

So, I think we'll do one 1/2 day exploring on our own after our plane lands and we check in the hotel. 2 full days with Old Town Trolley, and 1 full day with Liberty Trolley in Lexington Concord and then fly home at night. Sound ok?

Edited by LNC

Stuff I'd do with 4th and 6th graders in Boston:

Boston's Museum of Science is a ton of fun. Great museum! They're a member of ASTC, so we get reciprocal admission - Green line

Museum of Fine Art if into art - E Green Line

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, again, if into art - E Green Line

Boston Duck Tour for sure, if going during their season

Freedom Trail at least as far as the churches in the North End. And don't miss Paul Revere's House (pay the nominal admission fee to go in).

Wander through the Public Garden, see the Make Way for Ducklings statues. Also, if Trumpet of the Swan was a favorite, there are several other things from that book nearby. If you're going between mid-April and mid-September, take a swan boat ride too.

Food:

We usually end up going to Legal because of their gluten-free menu, but it isn't cheap. We like the one in Copley Mall best, but we've also eaten at the ones in the Prudential Center Mall, Harvard Square, and Kendall Square.

Quincy Market @ Government Center is a long food court, fun!

For pizza, Bertucci's is a local (chain) favorite.

Harvard Square has Mr. Bartley's, a unique burger experience :D

My favorite chocolate is over at Burdick in Harvard Square, on Brattle St. Their hot chocolate is to die for in wintertime.

Definitely get over to Mike's in the North End for pastry. It is a short walk from Haymarket T stop or from Quincy Market, but it can be tricky to get your bearings, so consult a map. There are gluten-free options across the street at Modern Pastry if anyone needs that.

Trident Booksellers & Cafe on Newbury near Hynes Convention Center T stop has the BEST corned beef hash in the world. And they make a fantastic apple & brie omelet. When I go, I have to get both. And then I'm stuffed.

JP Licks Ice Cream has several locations now, and there's one on Newbury near Trident. But we still take the kids to the one in Jamaica Plain because that's where we park when we drive in to Boston. If you're okay with taking buses (my DH hates 'em), you can take the 39 outbound (ie. after seeing the Museum of Fine Arts or the Isabella Stewart), or you can take the Orange Line to Green St., and walk a bit less than 10 minutes. Jamaica Pond is a couple long blocks away, and is a nice 1.5 mile walk around if the weather is nice.

Random:

If you are in Prudential Center Mall, look for the ammonoids in the floor. ;)

Edited by jplain

I don't think we'll go to Plymouth- I remember the rock being a huge letdown bc of the sign stating it might not be "the one". I'm not sure the costumed reinterpretaion is what I want this trip. I loved Sturbridge Village as a child though, but it is too far to fit in this time too.

QUOTE]

If you mean the wax musuem near the rock, that has been closed down for a number of years. Interstingly, it was never a part of the hitorical site & Wampanoag program. It was theatrical, not educational. Thankfully, the living museum in Plimouth is something else entirely.

In the English 1627 village, the past is recreated ..authentically costumed (in the same accurate way it is at Sturbridge) historians and actors portray specific people of the time. However, this is not so of the Wampanoag homeite. This is from the PP website:

"The Wampanoag People have lived in southeastern New England for over 12,000 years. the Wampanoag Homesite explores the story of one 17th-century Wampanoag man, Hobbamock, as well as traditional Wampanoag culture and history. Take this unique opportunity to explore the perspectives of the Indigenous Wampanoag who have lived on this land for hundreds of generations. You may be surprised at what you learn!

It is important to note that unlike the 1627 English Village, there are no "characters" here; the staff dressed in traditional deerskin clothing are Native People and speak in their own modern words about the experiences of the Wampanoag."

Plimouth is 45 minutes by car from Boston, so it can sometimes be a pain to get there, although the drive is not that bad at all.

Edited by LibraryLover

My favorite restaurant in Boston is the Union Oyster House. The food is amazing, and it's so full of history.

http://www.unionoysterhouse.com/

Also, the duck boat tours are a really fun way to get a boat trip in.

Have a wonderful time! I grew up close to Boston, and look forward to doing a educational trip there when my kids are older.

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the tips. I bookmarked the Lexington/Concord Liberty Trolley webpage. It says that transit goes out there- I think subway to Cambridge, then transfer to a bus or commuter train. Do you think that excursion is worthy of a whole day? So, 4 days/3 nights?

So, I think we'll do one 1/2 day exploring on our own after our plane lands and we check in the hotel. 2 full days with Old Town Trolley, and 1 full day with Liberty Trolley in Lexington Concord and then fly home at night. Sound ok?

How was the trip? We are visiting Boston next month. :)

I would rent a car for a day and head to Plimouth Plantation, and I would not miss the Museum of Science. The last time we were there a docent was doing a sheep heart/lung dissection at a table the kids (and I) could pull chairs right up to. I almost swooned I was so excited. This was in the anatomy room I think on the second floor.