Menu

Got a great hummus recipe? Would you share?

Dd has discovered hummus. In general, my children do not care for beans/legumes. I am trying to find more ways to add them to our diet.

I'd like to encourage her interest! :coolgleamA:

Can you make it with canned garbanzos, or should it be with dried & cooked ones?

Thanks so much!

Guest Lorna

Hummus

Here is a simple and effective recipe

for the classic Middle-Eastern dish...Enjoy!

hummus.jpg Ingredients:

1 14oz (400) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans in America?)

2 medium cloves garlic (chopped)

Juice of one lemon

3 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste - you can leave this out if you need to)

4 tbsp olive oil

¼ tsp black pepper

salt

3-4 fl oz (125ml) water

Method:

1. Drain the chickpeas, put them in a bowl and mash until they are fairly smooth.
  2. Add the garlic, lemon juice, tahini, and the salt and pepper.
  3. Blend them all together in a food-processor or blender, and add enough of the water to make a smooth paste.
  4. Spoon into a serving dish. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with paprika, and serve

Here's mine:

1 can garbanzo beans, drained half-way

1-3 cloves of garlic (I use three)

2-3 T tahini or PEANUT BUTTER--any nut butter will work

juice of one lime

just a sprinkling or smattering of cayenne pepper

a dash or two of cumin or coriander or both

Put everything in a food processor and blend until smooth.

It's easy to adjust the seasonings to your taste--as you can guess mine never turns out the same way twice. Sorry if the amounts are not precise.:)

This is the right one. Avoid all the western additions, like mayo (ugh). My secret, and I share it freely (and I am always asked), is to take some whole cumin, dry toast it over low-med flame in an oil-less cast iron skillet until lightly browned, crush coarsely (you can do this easily once toasted...if you don't have a mortar, the back of a spoon on a clean countertop will do) and mix in a little. It will NOT taste of cumin, just.....wonderful. A little drizzle of that really expensive olive oil on top....fruity and flavourful and pale green, helps, too.

Next....move onto babaganoush.

I love hummus and have tried many times to make it, with varying degrees of success, but Costco (I joined Costco over Sam's solely for this reason) has an excellent premade brand. It's called Hannah's or something like that. None of the other premades I've found anywhere else come even close. So if you have a Costco, you might want to try theirs. If you don't have a Costco, I know that this is no help.

Terri