Menu

Exercises to do with an injured ankle

Ok ladies, I need suggestions for ways to exercise without being on my feet. I injured my calf and ankle 2 weeks ago and while I did stop my exercise routine (jogging and karate) I didn't take care of or stay off it like I should have. It is still swollen and bruised and seems to be getting worse. It is driving me crazy not exercising, but I don't know what to do that won't aggravate the injury.

Ok ladies, I need suggestions for ways to exercise without being on my feet. I injured my calf and ankle 2 weeks ago and while I did stop my exercise routine (jogging and karate) I didn't take care of or stay off it like I should have. It is still swollen and bruised and seems to be getting worse. It is driving me crazy not exercising, but I don't know what to do that won't aggravate the injury.

Can you do strength training? What about walking (I know it involves your ankle, but maybe a slow pace is doable without injuring it further but help to preserve your sanity)?

Are you keeping it wrapped? If it's a sprain, it can take a long time to heal. It stinks :grouphug:.

I can dig out my old hand weights and use those, and I have been doing pushups (with my ankles crossed so the injured one is off the floor and not bearing weight) and crunches. I think walking is out even with it wrapped, but my sensei said tonight's first class will be a low impact one at least one the lower extremities - probably self defense practice - so I might try it with my ankle wrapped. Also, I found a pilates video on the site PP recommended that looks good. It is only about 10 minutes so I think I will try it and see how it goes.