Menu

Natural Family Planning for Nursing Moms

Months ago I was researching natural family planning options for nursing moms, and I came across this great site. Does someone here know which one I'm talking about? Nursing moms have different rhythms, and do not manifest the same indicators as moms who are not nursing. Hence, the fact that I'm pregnant with #3 :tongue_smilie:

This site I remember had information and guidance, and I believe it mentioned local workshops one could attend. Please help if you can!

Is it this one, by any chance? :)

I love Kelly Mom's website! Thank you, unfortunately that's not it. I am aware and have nursed both my children for six exclusively and on cue for at least the first six months, and my periods didn't return until my dc were 13-15 months old. I really liked the break from periods. However, both my dc nursed until they were 3. In fact, my dd may still be nursing technically, as she asks every week or two to check on the milk supply (I'm 7 months pregnant right now). When my dd was close to 3, I found out I was pregnant.

The indicators for fertility are higher basal temperature (when you wake up), clear, stretchy emissions, and usually (but not always) a heightened interest in sex. However, all this is thrown out the window when I'm nursing, even nursing a 2- or 3-year-old.

I'm definitely checking out Couple to Couple league. The website was something similar to this. I'm so frustrated I didn't bookmark this months ago :glare:

Thank you, ladies! I appreciate it.

Look up "LadyComp" You might like it... It's suppose to be 99.9% effective ;)

This looks REALLY cool! Like a dream come true. This may be the answer to my prayers if all else fails. Thank you for telling me about it - I never heard of it, and believe me, I've researched birth control methods! I don't think dh would be too happy with my idea for a 2-year abstinence plan :D

I don't think dh would be too happy with my idea for a 2-year abstinence plan :D

Sadly, this is the direction we will be taking....again. Abstinence was rather effective for the year after #4 was born. We have learned, though, that we cannot have any activity anywhere near a fertile time or we WILL end up with a #6.

Off to check out the website....

ETA: A nurse told me that cervical checks are a reliable fertility indicator for nursing moms. I, too, have a difficult time with the other indicators when I'm nursing.

Sadly LAM has never worked for me. No matter how closely I follow it, my fertility returns by 12 weeks! Dd3 was my perfect LAM baby, and my fertility returned at the exact same time as it did with dd1, who I only breastfed for a few weeks :/

It's the window between being newly pp and the first ovulation that I worry about. Once my period comes and gets regular nfp works fine (though I think I'm going to switch from creighton to sympto thermal). Right now ds is 7 weeks old and I won't let dh near me, lol.

Right now ds is 7 weeks old and I won't let dh near me, lol.

Oh, I know what you mean. Right now that I'm pregnant we're taking advantage, because as baby comes, I will have ZERO interest (all baby-centered), and dh will be scared. We wait about four months or so.. sometimes a month or two more.

I'm thinking of using the Lady Comp PLUS the female sponge. This sounds like a pretty foolproof, fail proof solution. We hope.

Gosh, this is difficult. I want to be open to God, but please, no more children! :tongue_smilie: