Menu

Placing Amazon order: Pick out some books for dd9/4th grade level

Aludlam

Okay, we are finishing up Sonlight Intermediate readers. We will need all new reading books for the New Year. I'm torn between just ordering the Adv readers or doing our own thing. She is in the 3rd grade. She reads comfortably on a 4th grade level. The "bigger" books with the smaller print are very intimidating to her. Can you guys each give me one or two books to add to my Amazon cart?

thanks bunches

Okay, we are finishing up Sonlight Intermediate readers. We will need all new reading books for the New Year. I'm torn between just ordering the Adv readers or doing our own thing. She is in the 3rd grade. She reads comfortably on a 4th grade level. The "bigger" books with the smaller print are very intimidating to her. Can you guys each give me one or two books to add to my Amazon cart?

thanks bunches

Are you looking for historical fiction type books, or just books in general? What are a few of the ones she just finished and enjoyed?

Okay, a very vague book request... But I'll throw out some random good book suggestions...

The Penderwicks by Jeannie Birdsall - about four girls and their widowed father

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine - fantasy, amusing, well-written

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin - beautiful, Chinese fables, lovely book

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo - sweet story about a girl and a dog

Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh - because it's a classic that all kids should read :)

I could keep going, but I'm not sure where to go with this book rec. What's her favorite book?

What's her favorite book?

That's part of the problem. She doesn't have a favorite book. She loves them all. Her favorite book is the one she read last. This is my kid who I thought would never learn how to read. She just read "A queston of yams". It is now her favorite book, b/c it's about missionaries.

I added Because of Winn Dixie to her list.

If it helps any, she's a girly-girl, who loves a love story. But a super clean love story, with no kissing. Anything like that exist?

I added the Boxcar Children 1 and the Happy Hollisters to our list (we read and exert in WWE and she loved it).

thanks for the suggestions

I think that is about the age I fell in love with The Chronicles of Narnia, all seven of them. I can't tell you how many times I read those books. Island of the Blue Dolphins was another of my favorites and it was the book that taught my father to read (in 4th grade).

Yes, these. What about the Little House on the Prairie books? Or Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander? Ginger Pye? Half Magic? The Hundred Dresses? Some American Girl books? Misty of Chincoteague? If she doesn't mind being scared and you don't mind themes about witchcraft, The House With a Clock in Its Walls? 5 Children and It? The Water Horse?

ETA: Here's a selection from our own book jar list. Some might be above her level, or they might not. But if you're in the mood for some researching, I hope this helps :D

By the Great Horn Spoon

All-of-a-Kind Family

Thimble Summer

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Ballet Shoes

Mary Poppins

Twenty-One Balloons

Homer Price

The Moffatts

Heidi

Shiloh

Sarah, Plain and Tall

The Indian in the Cupboard

Island of the Blue Dolphins

James and the Giant Peach

Stone Fox

So You Want to Be a Wizard

The Library Card

City of Ember

A Llama in the Family

Black Beauty

Babe the Gallant Pig (or other Dick King-Smith books)

Please Write in This Book

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase

Zathura

Matilda

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing

The Trumpet of the Swan

The Phantom Tollbooth

The Great Gilly Hopkins

Harriet the Spy

The Penderwicks

Because of Winn Dixie

Half Magic

Journey to the River Sea

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Cricket in Times Square

Ragweed (and the other Avi books)

The Incredible Journey

The Enormous Egg

Winnie and Ernst

A Little Princess/The Secret Garden

Skylark

Toothpaste Millionaire

Shadrach

Along Came a Dog

McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm

The Story of the Treasure Seekers

Dreamer

The Doll People

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Pippi Longstocking (there's a great version illustrated by Lauren Childs)

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles

The One in the Middle Is the Green Kangaroo

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson

Edited by melissel