Menu

Stupid entertaining question...coffee setup?

My mil is coming to stay for a couple of weeks, and she seems to drink coffee all day long. We don't drink coffee at all, but I do have a coffee maker, filters, and a new can of coffee grounds that I bought for church but can use at home for now. I'd like mil to feel welcome to make coffee whenever she wants it, and details matter to me. Does this look like it has everything necessary (she doesn't use sugar)? Should I leave the big coffee can there with the filters, or can I put a little bit of coffee in a smaller, prettier container? Are the spoons supposed to be teaspoons or tablespoons? I always have cream in the house, but is it supposed to be something else like half & half? Do I need saucers? :confused:

ETA: Lol! Okay, I'm pretty sure coffee is better right-side-up! I don't know how the pic came out that way...

post-517-13535084194579_thumb.jpg

post-517-13535084194579_thumb.jpg

Edited by Julie in CA

You are so sweet to do this for your MIL--it's very thoughtful. My FIL is the same with drinking coffee all day long. I think your set-up is great. I don't think it's necessary to put the coffee in a different container. She might like to know what kind of coffee you are using in case she needs to adjust the amount she uses.

Also I'd use teaspoons, not tablespoons.

Hope you have a great visit!

Ditto. I am sure she will be happy just to know that you thought of her enough to get what she needed. Maybe you could ask right before she comes about creamer. Say "Hey MIL, I was headed out the grocery store and thought I would ask you what you like for your coffee. I would love for you to have some when you get here."

She's on her way, and will be here in a couple of hours, but I *guarantee* that if I asked, she'd say that whatever I have is the right thing. Somewhere in my foggy brain I seem to remember that what she really likes is liquid CoffeeMate, but I can't remember what flavor. :glare:

Most of the people I know use teaspoons for their coffee.

I prefer real cream. My parents use their normal milk, which is 2%. The "cream" is really where most people are particular. Some prefer cream, milk, powdered, half and half, or one of those flavored bottled creamers. Most people will adapt to whatever the hostess has to offer.

If she's staying a couple of weeks, she may like to have her preferred "cream".

If you want to put the coffee in a pretty container that's definitely a nice touch, but not necessary. Saucers are also a nice touch, but probably not necessary. I guess it depends on the person.

It seems like you have put a lot of thought into this, which is really nice. I'm sure she will appreciate it. Enjoy your visit.

What a lovely contrast to some of the other mil threads! Enjoy spending time together.

She's here, and we've made coffee. :)

I do love my mil! I don't think you can have a real relationship with someone without a certain amount of aggravation, but she made my dh and for that I'm forever thankful. :001_wub:

Honestly, even if I didn't love her on her own merits, I find it enormously challenging *and satisfying* to attempt to bless the people I disagree with the most. I'm a kill 'em with kindness, and don't give up until someone's dead kinda gal, I guess!. :D