Menu

To all you Martial Arts Enthusiasts

I've been away for Thanksgiving so couldn't make this announcement. My son tested for his second degree black belt and his instructors license the Sunday before Thanksgiving. He passed with flying colors and now is officially a SECOND DAN and can instruct in the form of Moo Du Kwan/Tang Soo Do. It is the oldest KOREAN martial art that their is. We found out while studying for the test that Chuck Norris is a master level DAN in this Martial Art. There's several studios that teach this style in Charlotte, where he's going to college next year, and is hoping to get hired as a part time instructor. He will also start studying another form of martial arts but hasn't decided. He knows he doesn't want to do TKD because it's more designed for show and competitions. He wants to learn more of the "old school" forms. We are so proud of him

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! My two oldest boys are first degree black belts in Tang Soo Do. The third boy is a red belt. He has at least two more years before he can test.

My boys want to know - how long has he been in karate? How long did it take him to get his first degree black belt? How long between first and second degree? My oldest will probably test for second degree when he's 16 - about 4 years after his first degree test.

Moo Du Kwan has slightly different rules than Tang Soo Do. You are considered a junior black belt until you turn 16. You can not move up to second degree until you are 18, 2 years after you are considered a true black belt. The test for the belt is mostly oral and written for the instructors certificate. You must have student taught between the 2 years you're waiting to test for 2nd degree. For each degree up to 5th degree you have to have the same number of years that matches the belt you are seeking. Another words 2 for 2nd degree, 3 for third degree, 4 for 4th degree and so on. Once you get to third degree it's expected that you are doing a considerable amount of teaching. There are still a few forms to learn but most of it is teaching at this point. My Ds has been doing this for 5 years now but caught on to things well and moved up easily. To test for the belt you must be tested by someone who has a higher belt than you. Another words a second degree black belt could not test for someone who is testing for their second degree black belt. My son's teacher is a 5th degree black belt which is considered master level and is an excellent teacher.