Menu

If ds11 is obsessed with the rubik's cube, he will like...

Ds11 is currently OBSESSED with the rubik's cube (and cubes that are not officially that brand). He will attending a cube competition in a couple weeks. He can solve it in about 30 seconds so far.

Other than a couple new cubes, he hasn't asked for anything for Christmas.

Is there something you can suggest for this kind of kid? Maybe he "thinks" in a certain way? Or is he just OCD? :001_huh:

Ds11 is currently OBSESSED with the rubik's cube (and cubes that are not officially that brand). He will attending a cube competition in a couple weeks. He can solve it in about 30 seconds so far.

Other than a couple new cubes, he hasn't asked for anything for Christmas.

Is there something you can suggest for this kind of kid? Maybe he "thinks" in a certain way? Or is he just OCD? :001_huh:

I don't know what you would label him, but he sounds just like my 12 yo. My child has discovered the rubiks cube and walks around with it all day. He wants a 2x2 cube (??still trying to find that) and a rubik's cube keychain for Christmas.

He likes those little metal puzzle things that look like they are strung together and you have to separate them. You can find them around this time of year at department stores.

He also enjoys juggling, cup-stacking, card tricks, and unicycling. Would any of these interest your son?

I don't know what you would label him' date=' but he sounds just like my 12 yo. My child has discovered the rubiks cube and walks around with it all day. He wants a 2x2 cube (??still trying to find that) and a rubik's cube keychain for Christmas.

He likes those little metal puzzle things that look like they are strung together and you have to separate them. You can find them around this time of year at department stores.

He also enjoys juggling, cup-stacking, card tricks, and unicycling. Would any of these interest your son?[/quote']

Hee hee. This is the kind of stuff he would like. Last year, he was obsessed with Asian toys - like a Kendama http://www.benegifts.com/Yosegi-Kendama-Japanese-Cup-Ball-Toy_p_69.html and a Diabolo http://www.chineseyoyoworld.com/.

And I totally considered getting him a unicycle this year! I love your other ideas. Thank you. :001_smile:

eta: You can get the 2x2 at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Lanlan-2x2-Speed-Cube-White/dp/B0041BRA0C/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1290969370&sr=8-10. We have also bought things from http://www.cube4you.com. Shipping was long, but it all arrived. Ds prefers different brands and types of cubes (he does NOT like the original rubik's cube brand). He like extra stickers and silicone spray etc.

Edited by lisabees

Hubby was that way when he was young back in the first Rubik's cube craze. He was on TV and everything back then. If it makes you feel any better, he's fairly normal now (as much as anyone can be normal anyway). He is still CDO though (that's OCD put into proper alphabetical order as it should be according to him)!

My daughter has a good friend in the Rubik's cubing world. He's amazing - she showed me a video where he solved a cube in under ten seconds! This guy is also a big fan of mathematical origami, like in these cool images.

Maybe a book and some supplies would interest your son? Just a thought!

Kathy

Ds shows us videos on youtube all of the time! It just makes you laugh, doesn't it, when they solve it so quickly?? Last night, he showed us one of a boy who broke the world record with 6.77 seconds. Ds is beyond excited to go to the competition, so he can meet some of these kids! This particular ds has decided to come home in a few weeks, so he can explore all of his crazy rabbit trails alongside his big brother. :001_smile:

You all have given some great ideas. Ds has always been interested in origami (fits right in with his Japanese obsession). And, nope, we don't have the Yoshimoto Cube!

I've heard Buckyballs mentioned here. Thoughts on those?

Ds shows us videos on youtube all of the time! It just makes you laugh, doesn't it, when they solve it so quickly?? Last night, he showed us one of a boy who broke the world record with 6.77 seconds. Ds is beyond excited to go to the competition, so he can meet some of these kids! This particular ds has decided to come home in a few weeks, so he can explore all of his crazy rabbit trails alongside his big brother. :001_smile:

Yep, watching those youtube videos is just unbelievable! Dd is hoping to watch some of the cubing competitions live this year with her friend. He's got her to join the Rubik's cube club on campus, and he promised to teach her to blindfold solve this winter. She can solve a cube now, but nothing like the amazing times the competition kids have.

I've heard Buckyballs mentioned here. Thoughts on those?

That made me think of Zome construction kits. My daughter's crowd all loves playing with that, too. They even have a kit for constructing a Buckyball. Some links: Zometool website, Zome Buckyball project kit, a terrific sale at Key Curriculum press on the Zome geometry hands-on learning book written by George Hart, and just for fun, George Hart's website (he visits mathcamp every summer and they fill a room with huge Zome creations).

Kathy

Wow! Thanks for the links, ChristusG. Lots of good stuff - I put some in my Amazon cart. ;)

Kathy, I am not a mathy/build it person. I have heard many great things about Zome. You're telling me that it's fun? Math kids like it? :D

About speed cubing - ds knows he will probably be the slowest cuber at the competition, but that doesn't deter him. It only inspires him! The blindfolded thing reminds me of a documentary we just saw about chess player Susan Polgar...how she can make her moves over the phone, and not see the board, is beyond me!!

I'm not a build-it type either, Lisa! But yeah, the kids seem to love Zome construction.

My dd's friend was the slowest cuber at his first high school competition, but he wasn't deterred either. Now, a few years later, he's ranked in the top twenty in the world. You never know where that obsession will take you! :)

Kathy