Menu

Help with chronically ill dog

Hi

If you have a moment and are so inclined, would you read my post here and give me some feedback? I am not looking to increase my readership or anything like that, I am just asking for help on several different forums and thought directing everyone to one place would be easiest.

Thank you for any advice/help you can offer!

I would suggest giving her either probiotics (you can get powder for dogs that you mix in their food), MSM (again this is made for dogs as well as humans) or both. Do some research on them but both are for the kinds of chronic rash type things that your dog has going on.

I suggested a probiotic - I agree that it seems important. I hadn't thought of MSM. I know what it's for in humans but didn't think of dog uses. Thank you for the suggestion!

Have they tried Ivermectin for mange? Many times a skin scraping will be negative. It can't hurt if it's not mange and will cure it if it is.

I will ask them. Is this a homeopathic treatment or something OTC? I see it's for parasites. (Sorry if that's obvious but I didn't know what mange was)

That makes me ill to look at the pics of dogs with mange. I will definitely suggest this too. Thank you.

I do raw, too. BUT, perhaps they need to think about what kind of raw? If they're getting dehydrated kind, there are some different meat that the pup may do better on... If it's not allergic to Salmon, a good Salmon oil (can be for humans, just the right amount is important) Seeing if they are giving treats... (and make sure they are no grain) How about the chews? Also, if the dog is getting flea treatments... (if it is... are the meds a problem?? if not.. could it have even ONE flea bite?? Some dogs are VERY allergic) You can use a Selsun Blue or other dandruff shampoo, I hear... BUT, I use one from my vet especially for itching. Do they have something for that? Sounds like all kinds of tests have been done for parasites, but the mange may be a good way to go. You'd have to see how much to give, but Benadryl was a life saver for my dog when we were going through getting his body settled. He was so bad, I thought that perhaps I should just see about putting him to sleep. He's been on all raw (except for what he steals) and is doing really well right now. I just have to watch and put the flea meds on him, even though I hate to do that...

On a side note, I'm sure that they know to be careful with shots... but the Rabies vaccine can be a problem for some. Cooked eggs might be good to see if they could kinda see if there are some allergies going on?? I feed raw or scrambled to my pup all the time. They are suppose to be great for their coat and... well... just a bit of <gas> eeeeekkkk.. ;)

Let us know how it goes.... It really didn't take forever to get him fixed... as much as he will be ;) He's very good right now, not perfect, but good :)

PS, I did grain free dog food for him and he didn't get better till we really went raw... On the way... for his 65lbs... I did 2 Benadryl a day?? Don't know what the dosage for a little bitty would be....

For excema with my child... They did Sulfur... is that a doggie choice??

Oh yes... I sometime put a bit of coconut on my pup. It's really good as an "inside" and "outside" oil... Although.. on a dog... not sure how that'd go...

:)

I will ask them. Is this a homeopathic treatment or something OTC? I see it's for parasites. (Sorry if that's obvious but I didn't know what mange was)

That makes me ill to look at the pics of dogs with mange. I will definitely suggest this too. Thank you.

You can buy ivermectin at the Tractor Supply or Farmer's co-op. It is the active ingredient in heartworm medicine. It is not "homeopathic" but is a common dewormer/ antiparasitic used for most animals species, even humans. It's been on the market for decades. Mange is caused by mites and ivermectin kills them. Some of these mites burry into the skin deep enough that it's common for a skin scrapping to come back negative, but mites are still the problem.

I had a dog whose skin was turning from bright red to black, thick and ichy. He was miserable for weeks and chewing holes in himself. I took him to the vet, who, after $250 of skin scrapings, lab tests, special medicated shampoos etc told me it would take weeks of prescription baths at her office at the cost of $30 per to get him well and maybe even then, he may not get cured. This dog was 4 years old and had never had this problem before. I considered putting him to sleep he was so miserable. I researched on the internet and found out that mange can cause his same symptoms. I treated him myself with ivermectin. He stopped itching two days later. (The bath didn't help him at all.) Then I treated him again in a week and it was done. That's it. His skin returned to normal, turned pink again and grew back all the hair. I was pretty mad at the vet. It's rediculous that she didn't at least try ivermectin first. It's so cheap and very safe! (only a few types of dogs can not have it) There is absolutly no need to do a skin scraping that is unreliable anyway if you just try ivermectin first and the dog stops itching. Case solved. Could have saved me a boat load of money and my dog a lot of misery. Anyway, that's my story.

The dosage for mange is much higher then for heartworm prevention or worming but ivermectin has a very large range of safety. (I once accidentally gave a rabbit 10X his regular dose (used the wrong size syringe) and he was just fine.) I use it to treat all our animals, dogs, cows, goats, rabbits, dogs, horses, chicken and ducks! (But not cats!) You would have to either research the dosage to treat mange or ask your vet for it. Good luck!

POOR PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!! She's absolutely adorable. I'm so thankful you and your parents are helping her out.

I'd be doing a ton of online research, but also, I can't help but push raw garlic. It's nature's antibiotic and is just so darn good for the immune system! I had sick chickens once and I chopped up a ton of garlic and put it in their water source. Cleared them all up. The barn stall smelled like garlic bread. :lol: I'd go ahead and put chopped raw garlic in her water, and change it every couple of days, if she won't eat it raw.

Keep us posted. I really hope things turn around for her!!!

WHY DO SOME PEOPLE GET DOGS???:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::sad:

I do raw, too. BUT, perhaps they need to think about what kind of raw? If they're getting dehydrated kind, there are some different meat that the pup may do better on... If it's not allergic to Salmon, a good Salmon oil (can be for humans, just the right amount is important) Seeing if they are giving treats... (and make sure they are no grain) How about the chews? Also, if the dog is getting flea treatments... (if it is... are the meds a problem?? if not.. could it have even ONE flea bite?? Some dogs are VERY allergic) You can use a Selsun Blue or other dandruff shampoo, I hear... BUT, I use one from my vet especially for itching. Do they have something for that? Sounds like all kinds of tests have been done for parasites, but the mange may be a good way to go. You'd have to see how much to give, but Benadryl was a life saver for my dog when we were going through getting his body settled. He was so bad, I thought that perhaps I should just see about putting him to sleep. He's been on all raw (except for what he steals) and is doing really well right now. I just have to watch and put the flea meds on him, even though I hate to do that...

On a side note, I'm sure that they know to be careful with shots... but the Rabies vaccine can be a problem for some. Cooked eggs might be good to see if they could kinda see if there are some allergies going on?? I feed raw or scrambled to my pup all the time. They are suppose to be great for their coat and... well... just a bit of <gas> eeeeekkkk..

Let us know how it goes.... It really didn't take forever to get him fixed... as much as he will be ;) He's very good right now, not perfect, but good :)

PS, I did grain free dog food for him and he didn't get better till we really went raw... On the way... for his 65lbs... I did 2 Benadryl a day?? Don't know what the dosage for a little bitty would be....

For excema with my child... They did Sulfur... is that a doggie choice??

Oh yes... I sometime put a bit of coconut on my pup. It's really good as an "inside" and "outside" oil... Although.. on a dog... not sure how that'd go...

She is not on dehydrated raw but they do give her some treats that are not raw. I think they contain grain too. I will have to check. I think benadryl may be a lifesaver... they used to give it to their other dog (she passed away) and this dog is a similar size so I bet they know a good dosage.

I will give them all of your suggestions. I really wish they would not do cooked treats but it's hard to know what else to do. They did start dehydrating kale and feeding it to all the pups... maybe they just need more dehydrated veggies for snacks/treats.

Coconut oil... yes, definately need to start rubbing that on her!

They are being careful with shots and even their vet thinks she's too weak for any so I don't think she's been vaxed in awhile. Who knows what they did to her before though and she may have some vax damage.

I also wonder if she's not allergic to one of the foods she eats. As I'm sure you know, just b/c a food is healthy and good doesn't mean an immune compromised dog can eat it. They trialed her on chicken only for the last three days and new spots are forming on her face now. They are going to switch her to all beef for the next 3 days to see if that helps.

You can buy ivermectin at the Tractor Supply or Farmer's co-op. It is the active ingredient in heartworm medicine. It is not "homeopathic" but is a common dewormer/ antiparasitic used for most animals species, even humans. It's been on the market for decades. Mange is caused by mites and ivermectin kills them. Some of these mites burry into the skin deep enough that it's common for a skin scrapping to come back negative, but mites are still the problem.

I had a dog whose skin was turning from bright red to black, thick and ichy. He was miserable for weeks and chewing holes in himself. I took him to the vet, who, after $250 of skin scrapings, lab tests, special medicated shampoos etc told me it would take weeks of prescription baths at her office at the cost of $30 per to get him well and maybe even then, he may not get cured. This dog was 4 years old and had never had this problem before. I considered putting him to sleep he was so miserable. I researched on the internet and found out that mange can cause his same symptoms. I treated him myself with ivermectin. He stopped itching two days later. (The bath didn't help him at all.) Then I treated him again in a week and it was done. That's it. His skin returned to normal, turned pink again and grew back all the hair. I was pretty mad at the vet. It's rediculous that she didn't at least try ivermectin first. It's so cheap and very safe! (only a few types of dogs can not have it) There is absolutly no need to do a skin scraping that is unreliable anyway if you just try ivermectin first and the dog stops itching. Case solved. Could have saved me a boat load of money and my dog a lot of misery. Anyway, that's my story.

The dosage for mange is much higher then for heartworm prevention or worming but ivermectin has a very large range of safety. (I once accidentally gave a rabbit 10X his regular dose (used the wrong size syringe) and he was just fine.) I use it to treat all our animals, dogs, cows, goats, rabbits, dogs, horses, chicken and ducks! (But not cats!) You would have to either research the dosage to treat mange or ask your vet for it. Good luck!

Thank you again for such good information. My mom is writing all this down and will check it all out as soon as they get home. They are traveling home right now :( and will take action for her tomorrow. As of now, they plan to take her to the vet and discuss this option.

POOR PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!! She's absolutely adorable. I'm so thankful you and your parents are helping her out.

I'd be doing a ton of online research, but also, I can't help but push raw garlic. It's nature's antibiotic and is just so darn good for the immune system! I had sick chickens once and I chopped up a ton of garlic and put it in their water source. Cleared them all up. The barn stall smelled like garlic bread. :lol: I'd go ahead and put chopped raw garlic in her water, and change it every couple of days, if she won't eat it raw.

Keep us posted. I really hope things turn around for her!!!

WHY DO SOME PEOPLE GET DOGS???:banghead::banghead::sad:

So cute, when I read this info to my daughter, she immediately asked Pawpaw to feed the puppy garlic. Since they're traveling today he said no but he will tomorrow.

They do have benadryl with them and will dose her up ASAP.

Thank you all for your help and experiences. I am relieved to know that we are not the only people who have thought euthanasia would be the kindest route to go. I'm glad to have your wisdom to pass on so that is no longer the option that looks best. The moaning and misery this poor girl has to put up with is heartbreaking. I think the vet who helped her with her previous owners knew she was being abused b/c she recommended they take Butterfly back to the breeder. I just wish they had also turned them in for animal cruelty.

Glad you noted that about garlic... I know that dogs can get too much. For treats, Antlers that you can purchase are pretty inexpensive for that sized dog. Whatever meat you end up feeding, you can dry the meat and give small amounts for treats. The good thing is... when they are healed... they should be much easier to care for.

If your parents aren't hurting for money, rabbit is a protein that it probably hasn't had.... and there are some raw foods out there with that.... Let us know as it's getting better ;)

Glad you noted that about garlic... I know that dogs can get too much. For treats, Antlers that you can purchase are pretty inexpensive for that sized dog. Whatever meat you end up feeding, you can dry the meat and give small amounts for treats. The good thing is... when they are healed... they should be much easier to care for.

If your parents aren't hurting for money, rabbit is a protein that it probably hasn't had.... and there are some raw foods out there with that.... Let us know as it's getting better ;)

Thank you again. :D You are a wealth of info!

And I will definitely let you know as she gets better... I appreciate that you guys are so concerned. :)

Another thought that has not been mentioned yet is to make sure she does not have a contact allergy to certain types of grass or anything else she comes in contact with regularly. I have heard of that before too.

Wow, how could we determine that? She jumps any time grass touches her but she jumps any time anything touches her so we hadn't considered grass.

We had this same trouble with a foster dog we had. Two skin scrapings came back negative, but when my other three dogs started itching we went ahead and did two course of the ivermetrin and with in a week all four were no longer itching and the fosters hair was already growing back.

I would really try that first before messing with diet. Mange is a very common issue and easily treated.

Thank you again for such good information. My mom is writing all this down and will check it all out as soon as they get home. They are traveling home right now :( and will take action for her tomorrow. As of now, they plan to take her to the vet and discuss this option.

Also sometimes the vet will attempt to get you to treat mites using meds like Advantage, I would suggest just skipping this and asking for the ivermetrin. We had friends who used the vets method and a month later their poor puppy had no change. One shot of the meds from the Farm and Fleet store and their puppy was no longer itching. and it's cheaper.

Also sometimes the vet will attempt to get you to treat mites using meds like Advantage, I would suggest just skipping this and asking for the ivermetrin. We had friends who used the vets method and a month later their poor puppy had no change. One shot of the meds from the Farm and Fleet store and their puppy was no longer itching. and it's cheaper.

Thanks for the heads up on this!

Please read this article before you give garlic to dogs. You can do it but you have to be very careful about the dosage or it can harm the dog. http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/garlic-for-dogs.html

this is good information. FOr a dog so tiny, I really should have been more specific. I'm sorry! I did figure, however, it may not be easy to get the dog to eat the garlic. That's why I recommended garlic in the water. The guidelines in the article are good.

ETA: Please make sure the dog isn't anemic first. I did not know about this info. but have never had an anemic animal before.

You've gotten some great suggestions and the only thing I'd add is to look for cedar. They used to (I don't know if they still do) use cedar in a lot of dog bedding, but I think it's caused so many problems it's not often used anymore. I never used cedar bedding for my dogs, but when we moved into our house a decade ago the back yard was all a thick layer of cedar chips. I thought it was just because a large cedar had been cut down on the property and they were too cheap to have it hauled off so they chipped and spread it...but as it turned out it was there because to keep the rain runoff from our property from flooding the neighbor's house.

But anyhow...

One of my dogs started breaking out *severely* after we moved here...and it was from tromping through all that cedar. We spent back-breaking weeks shoveling it out of the yard and putting in a brick patio and and the dog's skin cleared up. She was miserable during that time though. We had her on steroids and antihistamines to keep her sort of comfortable, but even with those she was a big itchy mess.

You've gotten some great suggestions and the only thing I'd add is to look for cedar. They used to (I don't know if they still do) use cedar in a lot of dog bedding, but I think it's caused so many problems it's not often used anymore. I never used cedar bedding for my dogs, but when we moved into our house a decade ago the back yard was all a thick layer of cedar chips. I thought it was just because a large cedar had been cut down on the property and they were too cheap to have it hauled off so they chipped and spread it...but as it turned out it was there because to keep the rain runoff from our property from flooding the neighbor's house.

But anyhow...

One of my dogs started breaking out *severely* after we moved here...and it was from tromping through all that cedar. We spent back-breaking weeks shoveling it out of the yard and putting in a brick patio and and the dog's skin cleared up. She was miserable during that time though. We had her on steroids and antihistamines to keep her sort of comfortable, but even with those she was a big itchy mess.

Thank you for this info. I don't *think* their beds have cedar in them and they don't have any in their yard but I'll certainly suggest it anyway. :)

I haven't read all the responses but my first thought is that at this stage in the overhaul of her poor little immute system, raw might be too taxing. Cooked diet might be a bit easier, yet still provide the nutrients, etc. Grain free, of course. I'd add in some probiotics and use some virgin coconut oil on her skin.

Poor darling. She's lucky she landed in your parents' home.

Best of luck with her,

astrid

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to update those of you who were so helpful with Butterfly. Since this thread, she has been on cooked organic food. Her behavior improved almost immediately (as in she stopped whining and whimpering all day) but her skin is still rotting off and if they take off the collar for even a few minutes, she hurts herself. She starting having tics as well. She doesn't LOOK any better and doesn't appear to feel better. Her stink is still pretty potent although my parents found a shampoo that seems to keep it at bay for a day or two. She's developed several cysts and other bumps that the vet said were warts. She's covered in these things and if she scratches, she bleeds terribly. She's still a disaster. :confused:

The vet gave her some antibiotics in case she has some sort of bacterial infection. From what my mom said, they're not culturing it in the office, they're just going off symptoms so who knows but at this point, it seems like abx couldn't hurt. She is also on cod liver oil and probiotics.

If this doesn't work, I think euthanasia may be an option discussed. Poor puppy is a miserable mess with no quality of life whatsoever and my parents are at their end emotionally. They don't want to give her back to the breeder as she is having an explosion of puppies right now and Butterfly didn't like the cacophony that already existed at that house. We're sure it's worse with even more puppies there. Plus her breeder said she knew Butterfly was allergic to the kibble she was feeding her but couldn't take the time to worry about it so really, taking her back is not an option.

So that's where we stand.

I think this is is a good, inexpensive suggestion to give a try. I also like a certain Happy Jack product, well I like a lot of their products, but there is a skin dip product. I have to leave, but will look for it later and be back to post the name.

S.

Poor baby. I have used tea tree oil as a topical antiseptic/antifungal on so many humans AND animals. I'd be surprised if it didn't help your dog and I do believe it would give relief for the skin irritation. I used it on raw skin parts, dilluted in balm.

For your dog, I'd actuallly get some and dilute it, put it on a cotton ball, and dab directly onto the warts. Here are suggestions for dilution based on the type of tea tree oil you have, water or oil based: http://www.teatreeoiluses.com/tea-tree-oil-dilute.htm I have to say, I've used this so widely and can't remember a time ever when it didn't help on a human OR animal, and when I've used it on myself, it has been soothing.

It sounds like aside form the tics, the main issue right now is the discomfort from the skin? Please try the tea tree oil. I've used it on myself many times it is soothing. It will DEFINITELY smell better than what ever odor she's emitting!

If you can't find something to help ease her suffering, I agree that euthanasia would be best. Please try to treat her skin first. It sounds more like it's a systemic issue and the skin issue may be a result of her othe problems, but I really don't know if this is true.

I agree with you Denise in that I believe she has a systemic problem and the skin issue is a symptom BUT if we can find something to help, we'd love it. :) I will recommend the TTO to my mom. We've used it on ourselves before but I don't believe she's thought to use it on the dog.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Hey There ;)

I can't remember if they've tried to do one meat that it hasn't had before..... and benadryl to help with the itch. Also, there is "anti-itch" shampoo at the vet's that you can get. Actually, there are 2 kinds for if it's bacterial... or something else.

Seriously, if they could just do one meat.... that the pup hasn't ever had.... with absolutely no other veggies or potatoes... or anything else.... perhaps it's allergic to the kind of meat they are using. I've heard some stuff about dogs that are seriously sick needing to bring back their health through very limited ingredients to see what they can handle. (Perhaps along the same lines as the "gut-healing" food that humans can use) Also, was it this thread that had juice on it for dogs? If you used the kinds of juice that it can have... (and just fresh...) ... after you see what meat it could handle, ....maybe that would be good. I'm not sure about toxicity of tea tree or of grapefruit seed extract... BUT, if it could happen to be something yeasty... perhaps whichever one of those would be better?? Maybe some neem oil, too?? You just have to check out what the poison part is.... Another thing I was JUST reading last night... was about Lysine and the cure for mouth warts and other things like that. You can give it to dogs.... you just have to find out what dose... Kinda one of those... 2x a day... extra large amount till it's better... and then just a smaller amount...

Good Luck!!

Keep us Posted!!

Do you have any close up photos of the skin problems? (I read the blog post, not sure, I might have missed them)

I don't have any close ups. I'll ask my mom if she does.

Honestly, I'd ask for recommendations from neighbors and friends for a traditional medical vet.

That's where I'd start.

She does not want to go traditional. She spent 2 years with a traditional vet who was completely unable to help her. We have had enough experiences in this area to know what we don't want. The alternative vet is knowledgeable. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Update: My mom sent me some pictures of Butterfly. She is not doing any better. Her death stink went away temporarily but is back now. She is still in misery although she is more cooperative these days. She is on cooked meat and veggies that my mom makes for her every day but they have just recently started giving her non-grain premade treats. As you can imagine, my parents grow weary of all the work going in to her care with no good changes.

I will try to attach pictures of her tail since some of you have asked for them before.

And if you're still interested in this... THANK YOU!!!!

** could not get them to attach but all the links are tail pictures.