Menu

Just finished a bookshelf for dd! (Pic)

This got it's last coat of paint today:

It's the Favorite Bookshelf (sans crown molding and with a narrower header) from www.ana-white.com .

next, I am building the identical shelf for ds 7. He wants his to be white too. I was hoping for color this time. On the bright side, if they ever end up in the same room, they'll be a matched pair. :001_smile:

This got it's last coat of paint today:

[ATTACH]3892[/ATTACH]

It's the Favorite Bookshelf (sans crown molding and with a narrower header) from www.ana-white.com .

next, I am building the identical shelf for ds 7. He wants his to be white too. I was hoping for color this time. On the bright side, if they ever end up in the same room, they'll be a matched pair. :001_smile:

Very nice! They turned out great!

Were the plans easy to follow? I'm about to make the loft bed modified into bunkbeds. I hope the plans work as easily as it seems they will.

Very nice! They turned out great!

Were the plans easy to follow? I'm about to make the loft bed modified into bunkbeds. I hope the plans work as easily as it seems they will.

The plans were pretty easy to follow. I did see one little issue with the pictures not lining up with what she was saying, I just did what she said and figured she has made a small Sketch-up error. I think this one was probably the second plan she ever posted. I do cut as I go on some parts as the lumber I buy is more finished than some. a 1 x 2 instead of being 3/4" x 1.5" is more like 3/4" x 1 3/8". It can make for small irritating gaps on shelf facings and such.

She does have bunkbed plans very similar to the loft bed (with much more sensible assembly instructions--especially if you'll ever need to move the bed. Classic Bunk Beds

The loft is taller of course, but that would be an easily enough modification. You'd need another ladder rung, or could use the loft bed ladder plan. (Can you tell I've thought about these beds a lot? :D)

I plan to build the loft soon, and assemble it in four panels like her bunk. I'm not sure why she did the loft the way she did (with the threading the side rails etc through).

The plans were pretty easy to follow. I did see one little issue with the pictures not lining up with what she was saying, I just did what she said and figured she has made a small Sketch-up error. I think this one was probably the second plan she ever posted. I do cut as I go on some parts as the lumber I buy is more finished than some. a 1 x 2 instead of being 3/4" x 1.5" is more like 3/4" x 1 3/8". It can make for small irritating gaps on shelf facings and such.

She does have bunkbed plans very similar to the loft bed (with much more sensible assembly instructions--especially if you'll ever need to move the bed. Classic Bunk Beds

The loft is taller of course, but that would be an easily enough modification. You'd need another ladder rung, or could use the loft bed ladder plan. (Can you tell I've thought about these beds a lot? :D)

I plan to build the loft soon, and assemble it in four panels like her bunk. I'm not sure why she did the loft the way she did (with the threading the side rails etc through).

OH! Thank you for that link! The only bunk beds that seem to come up for me on that site are the ones that have the picket fence looking head and footboards. This is exactly what I want! You just saved me a bunch of calculations! :001_smile:

OH! Thank you for that link! The only bunk beds that seem to come up for me on that site are the ones that have the picket fence looking head and footboards. This is exactly what I want! You just saved me a bunch of calculations! :001_smile:

You're welcome! When do you plan on building this? Want to do a build-a-long? I'm figuring about a week to get the other bookshelf done and it's loft bed time. I built one with 2x4's and 2x6's about 4 years ago for younger ds and older ds has wanted one since. He just never liked how rugged the OP bed I built for his brother is ( http://www.oploftbed.com/ ). He likes this one from Ana's site. Good. I hope he likes helping to build (or at least stain) it. :D

It is just beautiful. How absolutely satisfied you must feel.

Thanks! I've been looking for bookcases like this (off the floor) for years. I need to build one for youngest ds's room and then about a dozen more. :001_smile:

Edited by darlasowders

You're welcome! When do you plan on building this? Want to do a build-a-long? :001_smile:

I"m probably about a week out from starting. I painted the walls in the girls' bedroom last week, and hope to finish the trim tomorrow (there is beadboard up to chair rail height). Then I've got some closet finishing to do and I'll be ready to tackle the bunkbeds.

A build-a-long would be fun! We'll be painting our beds, so I'm excited to see how yours turns out with stain.

The other thing I"m thinking about is incorporating shelves with the bed somehow, to function as nightstands for both bunks. I may leave the rails off the back side and scooch the bed up against some shelves. We are limited because the room has three windows that eat up lot of wall space - makes the room pretty, but hard to arrange.