Menu

What could be possible causes of a 2mm lesion on the frontal lobe of a child?

Birth trauma. My older ds was having petit mal seizures around 4-5 y.o. and doing some serious toe walking when he was young. The only reason they did an MRI was because he was having headaches. Younger ds has hydrocephalus, and they wanted to see if elder ds had it too (dh's mom has it too). Elder ds does not but they found a 3mm scar tissue on his brain (I don't remember where), and concluded he has very mild cerebral palsy along with petit mal seizures (a different test for that). He is now 20, and hasn't had seizures in 10 years. Only when he's tired does one detect the signs of cp.

Edited by CathieC
spelling

Dizzy spells and blank stares are signs of petit mal (also known as absence) seizures.

Yep, my nephew as a toddler would just suddenly stop whatever he was doing and stare. There was nothing you could do to get his attention until he just snappped out of it. The good news is that most children will outgrow it sometime during puberty. It may take some time experimenting with meds. and dosages to find the one for her, but it is very treatable.

Then why did she have her brain imaged?

She was having dizzy spells and blank stares and my family member insisted on further tests. They were saying it was probably inner ear fluid. Now they know they were/are seizures and their dd started having more and more of them, with more obvious symptoms, while at the hospital. It's been a progressive thing that really has just occurred in the last couple of days and increased in intensity today. As far as I know, there hasn't been a history of anything that would explain this. She is a healthy child with no history of anything. The tests show a low grade tumor that is operable. It is not an emergency and there are no "roots" on the tumor, so I guess that is a positive thing. It is 2.5cm. They are trying to get the seizures under control. Thanks for all your info. everyone. We are praying for them, but wish we could do more.

She was having dizzy spells and blank stares and my family member insisted on further tests.

She is a healthy child with no history of anything.

Ahhh, a difference in language use. To me, she HAS a history, a history of dizzy spells and blank stares. What she did not have was any "prior history".

:grouphug: I am sure it is terrifying to them all.