Menu

Gallbladder issues...

So I had my first real gallbladder attack earlier this week. Tell me all I need to know...

What should I expect?

What can I eat and not eat?

What is like after surgery?

Should I avoid surgery for as long as possible and just live with it or just get it over with?

Give me the good and the bad please....

I have an attack about once every ten years that lasts for a week or so. It's excruciating. The last time I went to the ER. The doctor wanted to remove my gb, but I asked to wait and the attacks passed. He gave me some awesome pain pills. ;)

I've read that having it out sometimes does not keep one from having attacks and that the digestive system is less efficient. Otoh, you have to be careful about sepsis (infection.) My niece had her gallbladder out with a simple surgery, and hasn't had any problems since. I'm just not one for yanking organs unless absolutely necessary.

Fatty foods trigger and make attacks much worse.

I feel for ya'! :grouphug:

I had 4 attacks in my life. The longest lasted 4-5 days and I was hospitalized. For me, dairy set me off. My mother, spaghetti sauce. My aunt, fried food.

What should I expect?:

I'm not sure in the terms you speak of. After surgery, if you choose to live with it, etc?

What can I eat and not eat?:

Fatty foods will do it, but sometimes people have particular foods. I could eat burgers and such, but dairy made me have 'em. One night, at a friends house, we had mac 'n cheese, cheesy brocolli, and cheesecake. This is before I knew what my attacks were and from what. We went to sleep at 2am and I had a gassy, crampy feeling. (I'd had two attacks previous to this one, but thought they were just bad gas.) I woke up at 6am in terrible, terrible pain and called my father to pick me up. That was the attack that lasted 4-5 days. We found out on the 3rd day what it was.

What is like after surgery?:

I had to stay overnight at the hospital because I am a minor, but it is an out-patient procedure. I would have been more comfortable had I been able to go home. It hurt for me to get up and down for about a week and a half. I still wasn't able to eat dairy, and was on a low-fat diet for about 3 months.

TMI, but the only thing that has changed is the pressure I now feel when I need to use the bathroom. The doctors said this is normal. I also wasn't able to use the bathroom without medication for about a week. My mother accidentely overdosed me on Milk of Magnesium. I had to be hospitalized for an enlarged colon, not fun.

Should I avoid surgery for as long as possible and just live with it or just get it over with?:

For me, I didn't have the option. My parents didn't want me in and out of the hospital. We found out in July, I had it out August 17th, and was back on my feet and ready for school by August 31st. I lived with it for about 5 months and it was a living Hell for me. No matter how I lay, the pain would not go away. I also had vomiting and dehydration. It was the second worst pain I went through in my life (Enlarged Colon from Milk of Magnesium was definitely first). I would recommend getting it out because I couldn't imagine living with it.

What should I expect?:

Do you mean in terms of more attacks or what to expect after surgery?

What can I eat and not eat?:

It didn't matter what I ate. I had gallbladder attacks regularly until I had it removed.

What is like after surgery?:

You might have to spend the night. I did because the operation wasn't until 1pm.

I have four 1 inch scars on my torso and they healed very quickly.

I felt tired for a few days and couldn't lift anything over 25 lbs for two weeks. It was a little tough for my 3 year old.

But the best thing was that once I recovered fully from the surgery, I couldn't believe how much better I felt. I no longer had heartburn every night and no more attacks!!!

Should I avoid surgery for as long as possible and just live with it or just get it over with?:

I think it depends on your situation. Have you had an ultrasound to see if you have gall stones? If they move into the ducts that can cause a bigger problem.

If you've only had the one attack, you might want to change your diet first and see if that helps.

Good luck!

avoid fatty, greasy, fried, spicy foods...

...get the surgery, it's best to get it over with. I was so glad when mine was over with and I never had to have a gall bladder attack again, because that was excruciating. Horrible.

...you'll have some soreness afterward, and in the first couple of weeks while you're healing you might even feel like you're having a couple more mini attacks- which will actually be trapped gas.