Menu

Do you think Amazon prices go up or down before Christmas (generally?)

I have three things in my cart and so far one has gone UP $20!!!! And one I almost bought last night at $62.39 and now it's up to $63.99. I'm not sure if I'd be better off to wait and see if they go down or buy now before they continue going up!

Is there a general trend with Amazon to raise prices before Christmas? Or maybe some might go down over this Black Friday weekend? Has anyone noticed from other years what they tend to do?

I really don't know, but yesterday I was reading the Amazon discussion boards & someone mentioned that he uses http://camelcamelcamel.com/ - it's an Amazon price tracking site that will give you the price history of an item and alert you when the item's price drops below an amount you specify. I plan to play around with it some more this afternoon because it could be a very cool tool (the guy who mentioned it swears by it).

I forgot to mention - the general consensus on the Amazon boards was that item prices fluctuate due to demand (no one seems to know exactly how this works). That said, from everything I've read, Amazon plans on being pretty aggressive with their pricing and especially price matching this holiday season. SO, I would think there's a fairly good chance of the prices dropping still, depending on the item.

Edited by KristineinKS
Added a note

This is good to know. I've been over there three times this morning, with my finger hovering over the Buy button, not sure whether to buy now or take the gamble it will go down!

I decided I am definitely NOT buying the one that went up $20 unless it goes back down. The other items are dd's *big* gifts so I'm still not sure what to do-it's like I have to have them at any price anyway. I hate to buy it and then it goes down $10 tomorrow though-lol!

I can't really answer your question specifically but I did want to add that lately, I have been finding the prices on BookDepository to be quite a bit lower than amazon on many items (and lower by a small amount on a great deal more). I'm not sure if it's because amazon prices went up or if BookDepository is all of a sudden being more competitive but all the items in my amazon wishlist have been cheaper at the other site in the last month or so.

I will caution that shipping is a bit slower than amazon on in-stock items, but only by a couple days.

Definitely up! I have had tons of stuff in my cart and was trying to wait until the end of November to make my purchases, but every time I went to my Amazon page, I had a long list of items that were either no longer available directly through Amazon (so no free shipping) or the prices had increased. I decided to go ahead and make my purchases a little earlier than I wanted because of this trend.

Lisa