Menu

Paleontology for 8th grader?

Pretty in Pink

My DS wants to be a paleontologist so I hear you.

We took him to a natural history museum to speak with a working paleo. The Paleo told DS to study geology, a little chemistry and a lot of biology. He also told him to read trade magazines and books relating to paleontology.

There are a number of organizations offering summer paleontology field trips. I'll see if I can find my saved links.

ETA:

Here are a few:

http://www.paleosoc.org/

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Paleontologist-Steve-Parker/dp/0671693077/ref=cm_lmf_tit_15

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Adventures-Paleontology-Lynne-Clos/dp/0972441638/ref=pd_sim_b_3#_

Edited by The Dragon Academy

My ds12 wants to spend a year on paleontology. I'd like to work this out for next school year. He will be 13 years old and in 8th grade. Any tips, resources, etc?

My ds would love to do something like this. He will also be 13 and has only talked about being a paleontologist when he grows up, so almost 2 years now. I will be watching this thread with interest.

I can post a list of our books and resources, but they are all evolution-based — is that OK? The only scholarly book I have that is primarily a catalog of dinos without too much discussion of the evolution of life on earth (still includes old earth dating, obviously) is Dinosaurs. Even though the subtitle says "for Dinosaur Lovers of All Ages" this book has been recommended by several professional paleontologists, and its the one book that's always lying around in the paleo lab where DS works. The text is very accessible and the illustrations are large and colorful, without stooping to the Weird-&-Wild-Creature-card level (if you've ever seen those illustrations, you know what I mean).

If people don't mind evolutionary-based resources, I'll try to get a list together this afternoon. There are some great paleo blogs out there, too, although be warned that you may find occasional profanity in the comments.

Jackie

I can post a list of our books and resources, but they are all evolution-based — is that OK? The only scholarly book I have that is primarily a catalog of dinos without too much discussion of the evolution of life on earth (still includes old earth dating, obviously) is Dinosaurs. Even though the subtitle says "for Dinosaur Lovers of All Ages" this book has been recommended by several professional paleontologists, and its the one book that's always lying around in the paleo lab where DS works. The text is very accessible and the illustrations are large and colorful, without stooping to the Weird-&-Wild-Creature-card level (if you've ever seen those illustrations, you know what I mean).

If people don't mind evolutionary-based resources, I'll try to get a list together this afternoon. There are some great paleo blogs out there, too, although be warned that you may find occasional profanity in the comments.

Jackie

I would love to see your list. I have told ds that he better have a solid understanding of evolution if he plans to work in any science field. We are old earth creationists so anything evolutionary-based would be just fine. When I told him I was thinking about doing this, he asked if I could make sure everything he learned next year was paleo related not just science, he also says it is "cool that there is other kids that want to study paleontology like him". Any boys his age he has asked about future careers, still list things like pro sports, or other famous type career, though I am sure he will find more likeminded kids as he gets a bit older.