Menu

What did you do after FIAR?

JaneP

Have you done all 4 vols? I would begin re-rowing with the 6 yo and move the 9 yo into Beyond. At least that is my plan for my little one. She is 5 and we have started re-rowing vol 1-3. When we are done with that she will row vol 4 and then move onto Beyond. I plan on taking vol 4 units over 2-4 weeks--there are just so many great nuggets in that one!

After FIAR, we started MOH but then switched to MFW. Except for a couple of detours briefly trying a couple other things, we've been with MFW for almost 6 years now.

That said, I've done some FIAR units here and there with my younger girls just for fun. FIAR and MFW both will stay in our family for the grandkids. ;) You see a lot of the FIAR books popping up in MFW Book Basket.

After FIAR I considered doing Veritas Press year two. Decided there was no way we could spend an entire year doing ancient Egypt, so we started Story of the World 1. My son became so enamored with ancient Egypt that we spent almost the entire year studying it. Too funny. So much for the best laid plans of mice and men. Follow your heart you won't regret it.

Debbie

We did a unit from Moving Beyond the Page (level 5-7, environment), then the Prehistory unit from Connect the Thoughts (starter) before beginning SOTW. My original plan was to re-row because we did FIAR when Ariel was 4, but when it came time to decide, I realized I didn't want to do that. We really took our time with SOTW1 and she enjoyed it thoroughly.

Thanks for all the replies!

Susie - we are just about to start vol 4 so it is good to hear that perhaps we could take 2 or more weeks with each unit. I don't really want to rerow any of books from vol 1 -3 at this stage but I am looking at Beyond for my older dd (9). I just feel a bit sad separating my dc when they really enjoy learning together.

When my younger dd (almost 6) is older I am looking into MFW as others have suggested.

I would love to hear what other people have done.... so far there seems to be less families moving into beyond after FIAR and I'm curious about that....

I would love to hear what other people have done.... so far there seems to be less families moving into beyond after FIAR and I'm curious about that....

I had two reasons for not doing Beyond FIAR. My first was simply that I felt we needed to focus more on the 3 R's. My other reason was that FIAR was so wonderful that I felt that if we tried to repeat it, even in the form of Beyond FIAR, that we would be disappointed. I just didn't see how anything could measure up to that year we did FIAR, so I thought it would be better to go with a different program.

1st we did about 10 months of Galloping the Globe.

Then we did 9 months of Portraits of American Girlhood (using the American Girls Series)

Now we are starting TOG.

I hadn't heard of Portraits of American Girlhood and I had forgotten about Galloping the globe. Both of these would be good to try before we settle into a more long term curriculum like MFW.

The reason I did not move onto Beyond is because when my son started 3rd grade I just really felt we needed something more structured. For k-2 it didn't bother me that we were doing a variety of social study topics, science topics or language arts. But by 3rd grade I just really felt it was time to have things more orderly. I love FIAR but it always felt very scattered and that was fine for k-2 but it didn't feel right for 3rd grade. So we are doing fairly strict WTM method. I am planning a Beyond unit for the end of the year, since we school for 11 months and take breaks when we need, there should be 6 weeks towards the end that we can do a Beyond unit. I think it would be fun, I just prefer to really concentrate on the 3r's right now and I prefer to have some order to our history and science right now as well. So we will use Beyond as a supplement.