Menu

my dd accidentally hurt her friend.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But no, I don't think that kids being kids means they and sometimes their parents don't have to suffer for the error in judgement.

Not to mention this was at a chess game. It's not like they were playing at the park. Rough housing during chess is not normally acceptable behavior.:001_huh:

:iagree:

The issue isn't whether or not kids do dumb stuff, but whether or not they (or the parents) should accept responsibility (financial or simply emotional) for injuries that occur during that dumb stuff.

Kids don't magically know NOT to do the dumb stuff, hence why it's relevant whether or not a parent or other adult has specifically spoken to them about that particular dumb thing.

I haven't been able to read the boards over the past few days because we've been traveling to various get togethers, visitations, and finally, yesterday, the funeral of a very dear friend. My husband's best friend. There were so many wonderful people we got to reconnect with over the past week and it has REALLY put many things in perspective.

Do you know what most of these grown men laughed and cried over? The STUPID, dangerous, make your hair stand on end antics they got into with Bob. The times that they made it, unbelievably, without getting hurt and the times when someone had to get stitches.

Gosh, people. These were two little girls playing and someone accidentally got hurt. I saw Bob's 10 yo niece pick up my daughter at the after funeral luncheon yesterday. Kids do that! The tone this thread took on really just makes me :001_huh:. Especially, now.

Denise, it sounds like you have good friends. I think a small gesture, a cozy one, like a Snuggie and a book, would be sweet.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: thank you, Sweetie.

I don't know why, but your post made me cry. And I couldn't agree with you more.

Not to mention this was at a chess game. It's not like they were playing at the park. Rough housing during chess is not normally acceptable behavior.:001_huh:

I'm sure it's not commonly accepted at funeral luncheons either, but when the 5 year old son of the deceased instigates a wild and rousing game of "Duck, Duck, Goose" or "Rabbit, Rabbit", somehow the adults in the room found themselves smiling and remembering that life goes on and children will be children and children PLAY.

My mom never would have taken me to the doctor for that either--and we had great insurance (even covered chiro). I was thrown from a horse once when I was 12, and could barely walk (couldn't run at all) for about 6 weeks. No doctor. I didn't want to go as I was afraid if my dad knew, he wouldn't let me get a horse (We were trying out horses at the time--didn't buy that one obviously!!)

She did eventually take me to the chiropractor a couple years later, and it turned out my spine was literally rotated. I still had some upper back pain (most noticeable when bringing in wood) and she thought it should be checked out. The chiro said that was most definitely caused by landing pretty hard on my shoulder (Gee, I wonder when that happened? :tongue_smilie:).

I still see that same chiro. I still hurt myself regularly, only now all I need to do is get out of bed. :D

I CAN'T BELIEVE your post made me remember a VERY IMPORTANT detail!!!

The chiropractor told my friend that he's CERTAIN this isn't what caused her dd's pelvic slant (this is what the adjustments are for and separate from the tailbone pain - PAIN NOT BREAK) but it likely irritated it.

You know what else really, really bothers me? I'm NOT a "Go run to the doctor for every little thing" person, but when I do take a wait and see approach on something that truly turns out that needs medical attention, the doctors make me feel so bad, like they could press charges on me for neglect. I know this has happened at least once but I can't recall what it was for. It WASN'T for the delay when this same dd's wrist was broken due to the stupid judgment call of another kid that we decided never to sue or get angry with or impose blame.

:glare:

The issue isn't whether or not kids do dumb stuff, but whether or not they (or the parents) should accept responsibility (financial or simply emotional) for injuries that occur during that dumb stuff.

Kids don't magically know NOT to do the dumb stuff, hence why it's relevant whether or not a parent or other adult has specifically spoken to them about that particular dumb thing.

Exactly so.

I'm sure it's not commonly accepted at funeral luncheons either, but when the 5 year old son of the deceased instigates a wild and rousing game of "Duck, Duck, Goose" or "Rabbit, Rabbit", somehow the adults in the room found themselves smiling and remembering that life goes on and children will be children and children PLAY.

A 10 year old is not a 5 year old. One hopes.

And no one on either side of our families would be smiling at a 10 year old acting like that.

Disagree...on so many points...accidents happen, there was no malicious intent...I am so tired of the outrageous lawsuits out there b/c no one feels they should be imposed upon by someone else....please, coffee spilling in your lap too hot and it's McDonald's fault?

Saw a video yesterday where a girl and her friends were having a bachelorette swim party, her bridesmaid pushed her into the pool as she has sooo many times in the past and due to a freak accident, the girl was instantly paralyzed..did she sue her friend to pay for all of her medical bills? Absolutely not, she's handled it amazingly and is still best friends with her...

We just take it too far sometimes.

Tara

I couldn't agree more. We actually took out a VERY large policy for this very reason. We want to protect our assets. With four kids, we were advised to do this by a friend's father. We did this because people are SO SUE happy. They will stop at NOTHING for financial gain. It's gotten waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of control and it is DISGUSTING.

I think it's great that most of us aren't sue-happy people.

I think all kids do stupid crap.

I think that doesn't mean there aren't consequences or we don't discipline for it.

I think whether I would sue someone is not relevant to whether they could sue me.

I think if my kids do something stupid that causes someone to be hurt, they have to suck it up and suffer the consequences.

If some of you wouldn't take your kid to the dr, that's your call. I probably wouldn't take my kid in for tailbone pain either. I've fractured my tailbone and know there's not much to be done. But I certainly don't fault another parent for taking their kid to the dr.

If they don't need help with the medical, that's great.

If you can't help with the medical, then do something else.

If they feel their kid was an equal partner to the problem, that's great and equal fault.

But no, I don't think that kids being kids means they and sometimes their parents don't have to suffer for the error in judgement.

dd's CONSEQUENCE is that she knows her friend was hurt. That was enough.

the part in red: this happened AFTER CHESS CLUB WHILE KIDS WERE PLAYING AROUND, NOT DURING A GAME.

For Pete's sake.

Denise,

I have read this entire thread. It makes me sad. I remember the time when our neighbor came barreling down the hill on a sled and ran right into my brother. It broke my brother's leg. The boys were taking turns coming down the hill and seeing if the other one could dodge the sled. My step-dad just went out, pulled my brother up to the house on the sled, put him in the car, and took him to the hospital. They were around 11 or 12. Just kids being kids. And we laugh about that incident often. It was one of many broken bones my brother had. The next summer he and a friend were swinging on a rope hung from a tree, and my brother fell off and broke both arms. It was awful, but there wasn't ever talk of suing.

It's a sad world we live in. I'm sorry you and your daughter have kinda been attacked in this thread. I'm sorry your daughter is hurting. I pray her friend heals up quick.

:grouphug: You are an amazing mom raising amazing children. Don't ever forget that.

Denise, I wasn't going to comment on this at all. I had nothing useful to add. If I were your dd I would feel terrible and beg forgiveness. If I were her friend I would feel terrible and beg dd to stop asking for forgiveness.

:grouphug:

Sometimes the results of our actions are consequence enough. I think that is very true of this situation.

:grouphug:

And one more :grouphug: for good measure.