Menu

what should a 5th grade be reading?

Hello,

Can you share with me a list of good books that a 5th grader should be reading and enjoying? My son is a slow reader and at times comprehension is difficult for him. I want to purchase some good books for him for Christmas, so that he can enjoy it, increase his reading comprehension, reading ability and fall in love with reading.

Thanks and looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Lilly

This doesn't answer your question, but a child who reads slowly with poor comprehension needs additional reading instruction (and perhaps you are already doing this). The easiest thing to do (assuming that he has a solid phonics base; if he does not, start with phonics) is to have him read aloud to you every day for about 20 minutes from books that are very easy for him (when my son was in 4th grade, this was Junie B. Jones). Then gradually over time (like a year or more) increase the level of the books.

A program that can help older readers decode multisyllable words is REWARDS by Sopris West. It also has some fluency work. Another program by Sopris West is The Six Minute Solution, which works specifically on fluency using leveled passages.

A child who is struggling with reading in 5th grade is most likely having more difficulty than the "perfect" book can solve. I would work on reading instruction and at the same time be sure to read wonderful books aloud to him so that he sees how wonderful reading can be. Once it becomes easier for him to read books that are interesting to him, he will be more likely to fall in love with it.

As for books, my struggling reader enjoyed Beverly Cleary books, Hardy Boys, Famous Five, and Charlie Bone.

Edited by EKS

I've had similar thoughts. My 5th grade ds read his first chapter book - hurray! - but it was at about a grade 2 level. So I've been looking for books similar to The Bears on Hemlock Mountain, with boy-friendly content and easy reading. I've looked at what I *think* we should be shooting for:

The Trumpet of the Swan

The Cricket in Times Square

The Sign of the Beaver

These all seem like his instructional level, though, not the easy reading I'm looking for. Next to come from the library for perusal:

Ginger Pye

Homer Price

Don't know if anything there helps. I'm tired and fuzzy headed. I'll be watching this thread for suggestions, too.

Hello,

Can you share with me a list of good books that a 5th grader should be reading and enjoying? My son is a slow reader and at times comprehension is difficult for him. I want to purchase some good books for him for Christmas, so that he can enjoy it, increase his reading comprehension, reading ability and fall in love with reading.

Thanks and looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Lilly

You have described my 5th grader. He doesn't read much at all for fun but he really got into the Harry Potter series, The Series of Unfortunate Events, and The Guardians of Ga'Hoole series. I'm currently looking for a new favorite series. His school work really does improve when he goes on a reading binge.

I'm currently reading 'I read it, but I don't get it' by Cris Tovani, which has some great suggestions for boosting comprehension.

Also we're thinking about books more by watch the film version, or reading the graphic novel.(in addition to reading the regular text)

:bigear: for book recs!

Our favourites include The Hobbit, Nim's Island, Nim at Sea, Tom's Midnight Garden, The Secret Garden, Danny Champion of the World.