Menu

How long does it take your dc to do FLL and WWE ...

persephone43

After looking through parts of the Complete Writer and esp FLL 3, it seems like we can go through these fairly quickly. Has anyone done an entire weeks lesson (in either text) in one day? Is that too much to ask of a 10 year old, even if we break it down into two chunks of time? We have roughly 22 weeks to get through the material before summer break (jan-june) and I would like to get through FLL 3 and WWE 1 in that time. I wont push him if it seems too much or if he isnt grasping the material or anything and it would be nice to have some wiggle room if he gets stumpted on something...but it seems like the lessons are teeny tiny compared to what he is now doing in ps. I dont want to make it *too* easy lol. I had planned on at least an hour total to do language arts every day and that would just include FLL, WWE and AAS. Thanks for the input!

Have you given him a placement test for WWE? I don't think I'd put a neurotypical 10yo in WWE1, even if he had had very little previous writing instruction. I'd start with WWE2 at least and possibly 3. ... Alternately, I'd buy the textbook (rather than the workbooks) and start at the beginning and go through each level using only the sample lessons (6-8 per level) so that he begins at level 1 but works more quickly, since he will likely *not* need the time at each level that a 6 or 7 year old would need.

As for scheduling, WWE works fine to do two days of work in one day. You can do that 4 days a week and complete two weeks of lessons every week or five days a week and complete five weeks of work every two weeks. Since the days alternate between narration and dictation, doubling up works fine. If you try to do more than that, you simply do multiple narrations or dictations a day, and I just don't think there's much benefit to that.

By doing one lesson of FLL per day, you should have no problem finishing in 22 weeks. You may find that there are days you can double up, but you won't need to do that regularly.

I agree with others. My son is a wiggle worm & can do WWE 1 without issue. My daughter uses WWE2 and is 9 in 3rd grade. My son can complete WWE & FLL in approximately 15-20 minutes. My daughter completes WWE in about 10 minutes (but we only do one lesson a day). We use R&S English with her in lieu of FLL though.

Susan

Have you given him a placement test for WWE? I don't think I'd put a neurotypical 10yo in WWE1, even if he had had very little previous writing instruction. I'd start with WWE2 at least and possibly 3. ... Alternately, I'd buy the textbook (rather than the workbooks) and start at the beginning and go through each level using only the sample lessons (6-8 per level) so that he begins at level 1 but works more quickly, since he will likely *not* need the time at each level that a 6 or 7 year old would need.

As for scheduling, WWE works fine to do two days of work in one day. You can do that 4 days a week and complete two weeks of lessons every week or five days a week and complete five weeks of work every two weeks. Since the days alternate between narration and dictation, doubling up works fine. If you try to do more than that, you simply do multiple narrations or dictations a day, and I just don't think there's much benefit to that.

By doing one lesson of FLL per day, you should have no problem finishing in 22 weeks. You may find that there are days you can double up, but you won't need to do that regularly.

No, I haven't placed him in WWE yet. I plan to go through the sample lessons with him until we find a good spot. I said WWE 1 after looking through the material and comparing that to what he has done in ps. His writing/spelling is very poor and he will probably need a lot of remedial work. I really want to spend most of our time on language art skills. Even if he places in 2 or 3, would it not be beneficial to start at the beginning? Does the material repeat itself in the following workbooks? Im really woried about the dictation. I did some with him over the summer and he could not remember a thing I said. He has trouble really listening and his comprehension is poor while reading and listening.