Menu

Gold Parties

Has anyone been to one?

Researching online, it looks like they are mostly legit, as long as you keep a wary eye out, but the same could be said for any financial transaction.

My husband is highly skeptical, and thinks I am going to get taken advantage of.

My perspective is that these are either broken, mismatched, or pieces I never wear anyway, so why not get a little Christmas spending cash?

He thinks I could get a better deal elsewhere by "cutting out the middleman." But realistically, I never, ever see my self bringing my little bit if jewelry to some swanky jeweler or directly to a gold refiner. In each case, my piddly stuff is not worth their time, and I don't mind losing a little for the convenience of just taking my stuff to my friends party and walking away with cash. Getting "less" at a gold party is not really less if I'm getting nothing by never taking it anywhere else.

What says the hive?

I'm with your husband, but I also make it a policy never to buy stuff from home parties. The typical item has a 40% mark-up over what I can buy it for myself online. I can't believe the gold purchase is any different. If you are willing to haul your gold to someone's home, spend an evening talking to strangers while eating celery sticks with dill dip, why wouldn't you just go to a straight up business and finish the transaction in 15 minutes?

My husband is a goldsmith/jeweller of his family run business and every time he sees those gold for cash advertisements he laughs saying they are a rip off, the general public just doesn't realize it. Your better off going to a reputable jeweller or to the refiner yourself. You say that they won't want to deal with your scraps, but once a year my dh sends in all his vacuum bags from work to the refiners. He has a lot of gold dust and shavings that end up on the floor and get vacuumed, they save the bags and send them away before Christmas. The refiners end up sending them some good $$ for the vacuum bags that we put to Christmas presents/bills and such.